Nectarine tree problem

Discussion in 'Trees' started by GardenDunce, Jul 19, 2010.

1. GardenDunce

GardenDunce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm new and hoping there are some experts who may be able to advise me.

I have a small nectarine tree that I got 3 years ago. The first year it had blossom and foliage, all perfectly normal, no fruit but I didn't expect any in the first year. I had a bit of a problem with peach leaf curl but sorted that out by removing the affected leaves and spraying it with fungicide. I now know I need to put fleece on it in the winter to help with this.

My problem is last year and this year only one branch has any leaves on it and the rest are bare. I can see it's been grafted onto a different root stock and the branch with the leaves is growing from below the graft. The rest of them (above the graft) just look dead. Does this mean the graft hasn't 'taken' properly? Can anything be done or should I just dig it up and start afresh with another?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks very much! :lollol:

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi GardenDunce,
    I also had a nectarine tree which died and like yours it was only young (I had it for about one year). I had put it in the middle of the garden, possibly too exposed to the winds. Anyway I just like nectarines too much to give up so easily!

3. GardenDunce

GardenDunce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might be being a bit optimistic trying to grow nectarines in the North East, but as you say they are lovely so I want to persevere!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,370
    GD if the shoot is coming from below the graft its a gonner.

Not much else you can do other than dig it out and try again.

Perhaps if you can find a fence or wall that you can plant a new one against it would help, although I doubt it was the cold that killed it, it would just give you a couple of weeks or more of growing season.