Need help with my project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Little Miss Road Rage, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a few pics of the main garden:

This is from the french doors
    [​IMG]

The next 2 are of the garage wall and my climbers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the patio with my doggie Bruno. It will be decked eventually
    [​IMG]

This is my veggie patch
    [​IMG]

The bits I need help with are:

[​IMG]

The side of the lawn by the fence is a gap in the turf. The neighbours fence is not on the border line and its not straight either so there's a gap between the border and their fence. Last year when we turfed the garden the neighbours fence was falling down and they wanted to replace it. I suggested that the put it back on the border so we didn't turf right up to their fence. They didn't replace the fence just some of the panels so there's still a gap. I don't know what to put down there as it looks a bit boring. I don't wanna spend too much as eventually it will go back next door I imagine.

[​IMG]

The next bit is this shaded corner. I'm not sure what to do with it as the grass doesn't grow that well there and I would like to make a feature there but not sure what.

Any ideas appreciated

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    LMRR, What a lovely little garden. I can't offer any suggestions - we have those lovely concrete posts in our garden too:( I don't know what grows well in shaded areas but you will be able to make a lovely feature there I know. Have you thought about a water feature?

Also for now with those little edges, you could put pansies or something in for now just to fill in, or creeping jenny is a brilliant in filler although I don't know what other members will think of it.

I particularly like the way you have the sleepers as your growing box for the trellis. I think I'm going to get hubby to knock up something like that as at the moment I use containers but it makes it a bit untidy. It won't be sleepers though! Still, is it ok if i nick your idea? Pretty please:)

cheers

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That is one gorgeous dog you have there. I used to have a german shepherd, loved her to bits, he looks like a gent!

Your garden looks good aswell.

4. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Fantastic Idea's there.... I just may have to copy a couple. Brilliant

5. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone. You can nick whatever ideas u want.

I did think about a pond but I'm gonna put one out the front so wanted something different out the back.

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1

He's lovely we rescued him 2 1/2 years ago and he's been a fantastic dog. We've got a staffie too and they get on brilliantly.

7. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would nail some wires on the fence and grow annual climbers there. Cobaea scandens, Rhodochiton atrosanguineum, various Ipomeas, Mina lobata, Sweet peas.... there is a whole host of climbers you can easily grow from seed, costing next to nothing and providing a brilliant display throughout the summer months well into autumn. It will not cover the winter months, but it´s an easy and cheap solution for the time being.

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks thats a brilliant idea. I've got 3 passion flower plants coming that I only paid the £2.99 postage for so I might put them in there and see what else comes along.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I would nail some wires on the fence and grow annual climbers there"

Or onto the concrete posts (bit low though, and "nails" might not be quite the right thing!)

If you put them on the fence and the weigh causes a problem your neighbour may not be happy - but they have just left you with the concrete posts haven't they?

The challenge is the fact that its a long + narrow garden (well it looks that way in the picture, what's the Length & Width?)

10. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm,
    Not sure about wires on the fence as you need a space of a couple of inches (5cm) to allow the plants to scramble.

How about attached 6' x 6' trellis panels to the existing concrete posts - this would also hide the posts and not look to bad in the winter etc.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "you need a space of a couple of inches (5cm) to allow the plants to scramble"

"Vine eyes" would hold the wires away from the surface.

"How about attached 6' x 6' trellis panels to the existing concrete posts"

That's more the way my thinking is going too ...

... I was thinking about a pergola across the whole width, but I'm not sure if that would make the garden seem longer still. I'll await the dimensions.

12. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Its about 80ft long and about 26ft wide at the widest bit. I like the idea of the trellis down the edge

13. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    LMRR,

....and now for plants. Soil pH and aspect please

or you could think about cordon pruned apples, expensive but attractice (must be a woman!)

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I like the idea of the trellis down the edge"

I suggest you get something that won't go too mad then. And perhaps pick some things that are On Show at different times. There are plenty of Clematis that won't go mad (but some that will!). Some annuals,. like Morning Glory, will provide a long flowering period [although in my experience Morning Glory starts quite late, and as you might expect its not at its best at G & T time [unless you put Gin on your cornflakes!]

15. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Right we have decided that we might be able to afford to put up a proper feather edge fence down through the side of the garden. That way we won't have to worry about the bit of garden that belongs to next door and I'll paint it before it goes up.

I still haven't decided what to do in the corner by the bird table yet but was thinking of maybe putting a bed across the bottom there and maybe something the other side too.

I've also got 2 small cherry trees coming sometime as well so need to decide where to put them too.