Need help with some 'Words'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dee, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to you all, this fine sunny day from Lancashire. (No snow today!)

I was looking through a website for seeds, as if I need anymore ... but what I ran across were some terms/phrases that I am not familiar with at all. Can someone please explain these to me?

1. May hybridise, but a good degree of variegation from seed.

2. May be variable from seed.

3. Comes reasonably true from seed.

4. Starification

This is where I was looking around...
    http://www.secretseeds.com/index.html

Thanks much in advance
    ~Dee

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    1. May hybridise, but a good degree of variegation from seed.

Should this be variation? variegation is when the leaves are green/gold or green/white etc, if it variation see 2

2. May be variable from seed.

Means not forced to come true from seed (may be different to the parent plant or the description on the packet

3. Comes reasonably true from seed.

as opposed to 2 above this means it should grow like the parent plant or the description on the packet

4. Starification

...should this be stratification? this would mean the seeds need a period of cold before germination (some people pop em in the freezer first [​IMG] )

3. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve for the info. I just did a cut and paste of those terms, sorry for any confusion. So sometimes the plant that sprouts won't look like the parent plant? That seems... not right. Kinda weird. That sets my mind to thinkin' :)
    Thanks again....
    Time to go and chill some seeds.
    ~Dee

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Means e.g. if its a double flower you may get singles, or the colour will be varied etc. Doesn't mean you'll get something massively different. What seeds have you got?

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Keep thinking Dee and don't chill them too long lol

6. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bay... I have had some Hops seeds chillin' for a few weeks now.. And I just got some Chocolate Vine (Akebia quinata) seeds. Says to stratify them for 4 weeks. This will be an adventure in seeds for me :)

And Lady.. The things that went through my mind.. OMG! It was like A Little Shop of Horrors!!! LOL

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I love chocolate vine - Love the idea of chocolate scented flowers followed by sausage shaped fruits LOL, let us know how you get on with it. I have plans for it in my garden, I'd like to know if other people have some already, & how good a "doer" it is. Have cultivated it elsewhere & it seems to do ok, but not flowered.

I have tons & tons & tons of Golden hop, it is a thug! have to keep pulling it out, would take over the road if I turned my back on it! If you have it, this is not one to give to anyone who's friendship you really value!!! :eek:

8. Dee

Dee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Chocolate vine sounds heavenly, is there such a thing as a caramel cup tree I wonder? Mayby a pizza plant? I think I could get into this grow your own food thing. :cool: