Need recommendation for Garden Design software Program?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Mad Hatter, Apr 24, 2010.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have just joined the Gardeners Corner.

I am going to set myself up as a self employed gardener. One of the things I would like to do is design a few simple gardens to show clients. I am used to photoshop, dreamweaver etc, but never used any garden/landscaping design software.

I looked at an American review and Realtime Landscaping PLUS 5 came out top. This is American, so would it relate to the terminology used by the UK gardeners? Also has anyone used it?

Maybe you have some other software ideas, that I could look at. Also, who is good to buy from?

Many thanks

Tim the Mad Hatter!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi The Mad Hatter I,ve designed a few Gardens but have never used Design software,always used free hand ,as I walked the course so to speak,sorry i could,nt be of more help to you,good luck with your projects:)

3. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wise old owl, thankyou for the reply.

I am surprised that in this day and age of technologly, not one person can help me out on this! Ohh well, I will have to buy some software and keep my fingers crossed for how good it is.

4. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Hi Mad hatter, I see that you're used to using photoshop.
    I use it to plan my gardens. I take lots of photos from lots of angles and produce a mock up on Photoshop. You can place markers in the garden you're working before taking the photos to make measurements and heights correct.
    I tried some garden/landscaping design software years ago but didn't get on with it.(sorry can't remember which ones.)

Saying that I do use Chief Architect for our barn conversion. Go figure.:hh:

5. messyhead

messyhead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was recently looking for some software to draw a patio layout, and I came across this...

http://www.gardendesignpro.co.uk/acatalog/free_garden_design_software.html

It's too involved for what I need, but may be what you're looking for. Although it looks like it might be a bit of a steep learning curve. I tried it, but couldn't get used to the interface - although I only spent about half an hour on it.