Need something for around base of Birch tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Zarch, May 2, 2005.

1. Zarch

Zarch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have dug out a new border and in the middle of the border is a Silver Birch tree. Its about 50-60ft high, so the roots are quite a problem. About a mentre around the base of the tree the roots are that dense that theres no chance of planting too much.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a plant that will thrive in these conditions? Ideally something that spreads and could go all the way around the base of the tree. Height is not that important, its more a ground covering that i'm after.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mick
    Sheffield

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    sorry mate, moss usually does well in those sorts of places. ;)
    Seriously though, I've got euphorbia robbiae growing under trees, and it does pretty well. Not a spectacular plant but it spreads and grows almost anywhere.

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zarch, Epimedium is great for these conditions, a good evergreen one is Epimedium x versicolour sulphureum [​IMG]
    Under my birch I have woodland plants: ferns, Bluebells, Pagoda lily, violets, grasses & spring bulbs as well as Geranium phaeum.

4. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got Vinca minor growing nicely and providing good ground cover in a similar situation.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Try bluebells. I have the same problem and blubells that a friend dug out of his garden have taken to the spot like gangbusters!

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Too Bluebells, add the ordinany single flower scilla. Anglesey Abbey has a pool of blue round their trees, and it is most effective.

7. lizzie

lizzie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    grape hyicynth spread like weeds

8. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    little wood anemones would be lovely and should do well there. A wee creeping plant called Pratia would cover the ground too.