Need to test soil pH - any advice on test kits?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by deansplit, Jul 4, 2012.

1. deansplit

deansplit Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been advised to test the pH of my soil, following quite a few suggestions from helpful members on my one and only 'distress' post a few days ago. I have replied asking if they can recommend any test kits for this but no replies back, hence this thread.

Keep in mind I'll only need to do it this once, I'll need a top spec one for daily use. I looked on ebay and you can pick the probe type up for a fiver or so... will this do the job for what I need?

Thanks

2. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
  3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I would avoid the probe type. Unless you spend plenty of money its unlikely to be accurate, and you will need "calibration solutions" etc.

Easiest for the hobbyist is the test-tube type ones in garden centres where you mix some soil and water and chuck a tablet in, shake, wait, and then see what colour it is. Only real difficulty is determining the pH from the colour, as whatever you do the colours are pretty muddy! but you'll be able to easily see whether you are neural, acid, alkaline or seriously acid/alkaline.

Some of the test tube types include tests for the main fertilizer components too ...

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi there.

I have an issue with the PH of my soil. I've been told that the electronic type testers can be inaccurate. I have one of these, and I've also tried the 'normal' test kit. From what I could tell, they gave quite different results! The problem is, I find that it is quite difficult to be sure of the colour range indicated by the test kit. Maybe a more expensive electronic tester would be more accurate? I know this doesn't really help you, just letting you know of my own experience:blue thumb: It would be interesting to know how you get on...keep us posted.

Cheers...Freddy

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yes, I woudl expect a higher quality, precision, instrument to be much more accurate.

I believe part of the problem with the Probes is that they don't work like the one at school (stick 'em in a solution and they tell you the pH) because that type is expensive, so they measure some other aspect that equates to pH. That's what I seem to remember reading anyway, but would be worth corroboration before believing it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,985
      If you have a Agricultural merchants near by, some of them can send your soil off to have it tested

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hi Kristen.

It would be helpful if someone on here that has a decent one, or knows someone that has, could add some input.:)

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Really? I must look into that:blue thumb:

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,985
      You do have to paid for it :eeew:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      You can Google for some info. Most of the stuff I have read says that cheap soil pH meters are garbage. But I ain't got any personal experience.

I agree that choosing what colour the test [if you use test-tube + pill, or just pH paper] is supposed to be is more of an art than a science!

OTOH I think the calibration of soil pH meters is tricky, as I'm not convinced that just sticking it in, say, Orange Juice is the same as sticking it in soil of the same pH as I believe that they measure electrical conductivity or somesuch, and thus using a soil pH meter to measure the pH of a liquid solution is compared apples-and-pears. But I do not know this for fact.

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Mine was from BnQ it was only £10, works everytime for me and has a moisture meter on it too for a one off reading i cant see why it wouldnt be suitable. If a more accurate reading is required then you need a more expensive meter but whats the point if its only going to be used once.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hi Hydro.

The one I have was a 'cheapo' from a Garden Centre. The problem I have with it is that the reading conflicts with a test kit. As I've already said, the test kit was very difficult to read with any certainty. So, which one is right? I suspect my soil is very acidic. If it is, then I would add lime, and would need to monitor how it's going. To this end the meter would be used many times, not just the once. Just to add, I guess it would be a waste of money if ones soil was well balanced...

Cheers...Freddy

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Hi Freddy :blue thumb:

If the 2 readings are different i would probably work out an average myself from the 2 readings but i would have hoped the readings would not be further out from one and other than 0.5. If you look at a rack of standard plastric thermometers for sale in a store they will often give slightely different readings even though they are all the same :scratch:...but only by a degree or 2 nothing worth worrying over. I suppose it comes down to how accurate does Deansplits reading nead to be?? The difference of 0.5 on a Ph scale is 5 times more acidic or alkaline.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hi Hydro.

That's just it, my readings were miles apart. The electronic one says around 5.5, whereas the test kit indicated (very roughly) something around 8!

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      :wow: Thats leaves a lot of room for interpretation. In that case if you have a bag of multipurpose compost the ph should be around 7, it may say on the bag so you could test both meters against using the compost each and see which ones has the closest answer and that is the most acurate method. The one i got for a tenner has been working fine for years though most the time it just reads 7 so i dont need to do anything.

• Like Like x 1