Neighbour Spraying Fence Paint

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Bandit, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Bandit

Bandit Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi All ,
    Problem is my next door neighbour is again saying spraying her fence which normally does in May been able to cover over any dug beds 4x8ft with carpet, but now everything is planted out runner beans, french climbing ,courgettes , pumpkins , leeks , sweet corn.
    the fence runs along side my garden I have planted a hedge along the fence my beds run along side.
    My apple tree and plum are close to the hedge also my rhododendron which this year flowered normally buds sprayed with paint went black and died.
    The fence is 4ft picket ie a board and a board gap so is only my hedge stopping the paint but neighbour has been reaching over the fence and cutting back my hedge.
    Council don't wont to know tried police criminal damage no luck , environment dep no luck either. The fence paint products say don't ingest or get onto skin.
    Covered three used beds next hedge with DIY cloches of polythene but still exposed runner beans and sweet corner in beds further away and my neighbour no stopping will just spray even if its windy blowing stuff everywhere onto my garden , normally waits till im going out and then starts spraying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello Bandit,
      It seems like you've been to the right people to try and sort it. so the only option I can see is to higher your fencing but there again...ladders do exist so that would be her next attempt.

The only ones you've not mentioned and that's the Agricultural department...here's their link :)

Agriculture in the United Kingdom

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,381
      Why would anyone spray a picket fence, you waste 50% of your paint:scratch:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
        +577
        Can you get a load of plastic and make a temporary screen to protect your plants?

• Like Like x 1
        • Bandit

Ratings:
          +10
          We originally put a picket fence on the neighbours side to stop the neighbours lad at the time pulling out the fence post and letting the dog in. The lad has since grown up and left but the house has been passed to there daughter and in the mean time planted a pyracantha hedge in our garden along the side of the neighbour and the fence was at this point only held up by the pyracantha hedge about 5ft". Then pointed out the fence belonged to them which they replaced but I foolishly had cut back for her to get in to replace the fence and the daughter has ever since sprayed the fence a different colour each year.
          I don't know when she will spray the hedge don't get on with her , found out since ive been clearing along the hedge removed the convolvous (Bind weed) she has been cutting it on my property and there is very little left in places its behind the compost bin. She was going to try and put a fence further along on my property as her property has a concrete base which originally had a garage standing on , so there was no need for a fence.
          A temporary screen would hopefully protect my vegetable patch from any spray but my apple tree I could see spray spots on the trunk , I don't want to eat any apples with even the tiny amount of spray on if this turned the buds black on my Rhodendron

• Informative Informative x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +20,951
            If the neighbour isn't open to reasonable discussion the there is not much you can do. You could staple polythene sheet to your side of the fence and remove when the spraying has finished. Or replace your hedge with a fence the same height as hers, bit of waste but at least one side will be sprayed regularly.

• Like Like x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,478
              I'm totally confused. You originally put the fence on her property? Then you planted a hedge on her side? Now they have paid for a replacement fence and keep painting it and ruining your plants?

If that is so, you should put up your own fence and apply plastic sheeting to the side where the paint gets slopped over. @NigelJ is offering the best solution for long term peace.

Or... perhaps you could talk to her and nicely ask if she can let you know when she's planning on painting and put up plastic for the duration.

You started the fence so...

• Like Like x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hello @Bandit is it possible you could add a picture please of the side your on about as it would give members a better idea of what's going on ;)

• Bandit

Ratings:
                +10
                Have made temporay clotches of plastic but they are starting to degrade , so im going try and find better plastic sheet that is thicker and stand the sun light with degrading but very cheap going to have a looking screw fix. Might be better idea to make a high screen temporary fence which I could put up each year

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Bandit

Ratings:
                  +10
                  Ok . I will take a picture tomorrow. Maybe I should have made myself more clear there on the boundary line between the back garden properties when built a wire fence with wooden stakes maybe 4ft high because the lad pulled the stakes out to let the dog in at the time it was easier to build a picket fence to stop the dog digging in our Garden. They vegetable garden was at the time my Dads and now its mine

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    This does sound a good solution ;) and adding the pic tomorrow will help :thankyou:

• Bandit

Ratings:
                    +10
                    Got a new phone taken pictures turned off phone pictures gone have too try again with phone.
                    Cut hedge on front garden on Wednesday and I was clearing up neighbour spoke to me which was an event.
                    Neighbour offered to leave the gate open so I could cut the hedge around the back next day.
                    fence is 4ft height and the ground is higher she wanted my hedge cut level with the top.
                    Paint above the 4ft over my hedge what is left and not been cutoff no waynothing to help block the spray

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hello Bandit, sorry to hear you lost your pic's with your new phone try again mate please :)

I know the fencing is 4ft and the hedge higher but we have ladders and extension clippers for issues such as cutting conifers back on our back garden...Telescopic Tree pruner we have two lots and for protecting your plants you can by metal roof sheeting on ebay up to 8ft high.

• Bandit

Ratings:
                      +10
                      upload_2018-8-3_10-41-13.png upload_2018-8-3_10-42-45.png upload_2018-8-3_10-43-47.png

Photo show my garden marrow,courgettes , purple colliflower and swiss card up diy clotches.
                      Apple tree supported stake full of apples.
                      Hedge from my side which is nearly gone.
                      Neighbours side which is spray painted.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Bandit

Ratings:
                        +10
                        Neighbours side

upload_2018-8-3_10-49-2.png

• Like Like x 1
                          Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2018