Neighbour thought I'd know what this is ...wrong.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by silu, Jul 21, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Neighbour thinks this plant is evergreen but not sure. It grows similarly to the likes of Aubretia so what I'd call a typical rockery plant. The clumps are a mass of small white flowers but past it's best now.The leaves have a slightly rubbery texture so wouldn't surprise me if it is evergreen.Neighbour thinks the clump could do with a haircut after flowering but doesn't want to do the wrong thing by pruning it quite hard if it doesn't respond.
    Hoping maybe @Silver surfer will come to the rescue as per normal:). Thanks. Not the clearest of photos...my usual lousy standard!
    image.jpeg

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
  3. silu

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Thanks @Victoria for trying to help but it isn't that. Snow in summer has soft greyish foliage and the flowers are much bigger, it is also a fair old thug while this plant is quite slow spreading. I was born in Gerrards Cross a fair few years ago and have a soft spot for Bucks. That said I remember it as being pretty rural with no M40! I expect it is today a very different part of the world to what I remember.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,344
      Sorry...need to see a good clear pic to show a single open flower.
      Best guess would be one of the many dwarf Veronica.
      Veronica flowers are almost all identical with 2 stamen...plus one stigma.

http://www.velvetgreene.com/images/Veronica - Speedwell - Whitewater.jpg

http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/disp...acro-set-flowers-raster-version-124635064.jpg

If I was dealing with it and had the time I would take nail scissors...sit on the ground.... and follow each flowering stem back to a leaf and trim it ...one stalk at a time!
      I hate to damage healthy leaves.
      Most people would probably do it with shears in 2 secs.

Try this one... Just a suggestion.??????

http://www.chicagolandgrows.org/perennials/speedwell.php

http://www.burpee.com/perennials/perennial-plants/veronica-whitewater-prod003433.html

Quote...."Veronica 'Whitewater' forms a dense low carpet, growing 4" to 6" tall and spreading 12" to 18" wide in a single season. Over time, it can cover a more expansive area. The plant is dense enough to suppress weeds, and tough enough to tolerate some foot traffic. The ½" glossy dark-green leaves are produced on creeping, wiry stems."

Foliage remains evergreen in mild areas.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,156
        I know we share the same birthday but don't know your year. I lived in Whitchurch from 1978 to 1984 then Upton and the Isle of Wight until 2001 ... in Portugal since then. :SUNsmile:

I wonder if I could grow Snow in Summer here? :scratch:

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        My birthday is actually in April @Victoria , not when it says it is on GC..no idea where that date came from? Born in 1953 so now ancient but nowt I can do about that :). Did have some Snow in summer growing out of a crazy paving path in another garden. Dry as a bone yet the stuff loved it so maybe worth a go in Portugal.

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        :wow::star::star::star: @Silver surfer another top of the class despite the dreadful photo! Indeed your suggestion of Veronica Whitewater is spot on. Have you thought of entering Mastermind?:love30:. Seriously impressed at you ability to indentify plants with not a huge amount of information.
        Taken on board your recommendations re pruning and absolutely understand the sentiment behind it! I try hard to cherish my plants and not expect them to flourish if roughly treated. Neighbour will be informed as to what she needs to do. She isn't the most gentle with her plants but I will suggest she takes an afternoon to carefully prune the 2 clumps she has. Many thanks for giving of your encyclopaedic knowledge so freely.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
          Ratings:
          +3,344
          My pleasure.

• Friendly Friendly x 1