1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Neonics - Very Worrying

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Redwing, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
  2. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
  3. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    It is worrying.
    However, taking the quoted facts at face value:
    I would prefer to see a greater sample size, most especially if stated as a "global" figure.
    Ok, so, 198 samples, derived over a 4yrs period, reduces that sample size to: a generous 50?

Therefore, the figures are stating that, of a sample size of approximately 50, 75% contained chemicals.

Worrying, certainly; but, those statistics do still need to be kept in perspective!

That is not to say I agree, or disagree with insecticides; I'm just querying the "Statistics" on the research; nothing more, nothing less.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,614
    As far as I'm concerned, yes there do seem to be less bees about, but at the same time insects in general seem to be down in number.
    Bees are a good choice because everyone likes bees, but wasps are non- existent around here at the moment, I've not seen one ladybird all summer, bearing in mind the invading harlequin was going to wipe out the endemic one, nothing new there these days, but I'm thinking the "experts" are wrong.

Butterflies are quite rare, even cabbage whites, hardly see any grasshoppers/ crickets these days.

Spiders are still around, but just wonder how they are affected, as the usual cranefly autumn food is not around.
    This is just based on my locality, I'm sure it varies depending on where you live.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gardeners Beehive guy

Gardeners Beehive guy Apprentice Gardener

engineer
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi there guys.

I wonder if any one on this site has heard of my contraption??

I make the only HONEY BEE hotel / hive / Habitat / thing.

so its BEES FOR BEES SAKE

yip not for honey! definitely so not for every one.

So basically if you put a box in the garden nothing is going to happen. You need a lot more going on for :
      not only bees to take and interest
      then to move in
      then to actually stay in and successfully over winter
      and so on.

with that in mind, this is not beekeeping as there is no killing of drones stopping swarming going into hive and exposing to despises and bugs. killing queens inbreeding and so on.

No any one can just put in in an open space that is not to disrupted and that's it.

Helping honey bees directly not though some charity or planting flowers, but directly by providing accommodation , much needed accommodation.

think of it more as trees stump than beehive, as it has very little , well nothing in common with beekeeping other than honey bees.

any how thought I would

if you would like to know more

just google: gardeners beehive

or on youtube look for gardeners beehive

PS I am not trying to sell my wears here, about a year ago I was pushed into making my contraption more accessible to every one. I have been doing this for years and pear group pressure I have now started to tell the world. There is nothing like it in the world. Its my contraption. But at the same time its for every one, well its not its for honey bees. If it is not done correctly it is not good for the bees. so I will not just put the plans out there. every part has a specific reason, from years of tinkering.

you just put it in and bees move in, well more often then not.

PSS if you don't like it that's great I have heard it all before, but if you do like it please feel free to tell the world. the world need more bees, and the only what to get more bees is to give them more homes.

so in conclusion

its an artificial tree stump, for bees, yes honey bees

thanks guys.

ps Gc guys great job on a great site.