Neutral Soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cazza, Apr 16, 2005.

1. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Did a soil test today and found my garden is neutral.Weird thing is that I bought a rhodedendron last year and it seems to be thriving.Aren't they just for acid soils or do they grow in other types of soil?Also if anyone can give me an idea of what I should be adding to the soil (if anything)?? I would appreciate it.

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Before you think about changing your soil ph id do a second test. Considering your location and the fact that the Rhoddie is happy it does sound as if your soil is at least a bit acidic.

3. cazza

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for suggestion and I'll do this at the weekend.The plants I have that are established at the moment are Kilmarnock Willow trees, hostas
    and red hot pokers (all there when I moved here) I bought over �£200 of new plants last year and the only 3(!) that have survived the rain,wind and slugs are 2 Cordyline and the rhoddie so any advise gladly accepted!

4. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear it doesnt sound like you are having much luck so far. Three questions.

1. What if anything are your neighbours managing to grow?

2. What kinds of plants bit the dust?

3. Is there any shelter?

Im sure that between us we can find something that will survive. ;)

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cazza
    Rhodo's do well in neutral to acid soil, & some forms are less fussy than others, so your test might not be lying. I agree with Cloudy - see whats doing well nearby, and investigate your own conditions a bit further - is the soil sandy/clay/loamy/silty? Well drained/moisture retentive? What way are your planted beds facing?
    The survivors you mention are all quite tough & with the exception of the cordyline & red hot poker enjoy quite moist/shady conditions (are the Cordlyline & RHP perhaps in a more well drained, sunnier spot?) even within a garden conditions can vary quite a bit, so get familiar with your plot, right down to observing how long the sun spends in each part of it & how long it takes to warm up each day. Also do take into account where the plants come from originally that you want to grow as this will give you clues as to whether they will cope with your climate.
    Cazza where did you buy your plants from & what condition were they in? Did the seller(s) provide any advice?

6. cazza

Ratings:
    +0
    My neighbours don't seem to grow much of anything to be honest! It seems everyone in this area is quite happy with grass and shrubs.
    I bought all my plants between B & Q and Homebase garden centres so they maybe weren't their absolute best but seemed cheaper than "proper" garden centres.In the long run perhaps this is the wrong way to look at it!Being a complete novice I picked plants that looked the part ( colourful flowers etc) but I swear I must have got all the ones that slugs eat
    Anyway the soil is clay with lots of moisture.The cordyline is in the south facing better drained part but the RHP'a are all over incl the north facing bed too>