1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Never where you want them!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by silu, Aug 3, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    As I have mentioned a few times on GC, I have an area of land which I am trying (hard!) to put back to a bit of field after having had commercial kennels, concrete paths, you name it on it.
    We are very close after 2 years of blood sweat and tears to having the area good enough to be sown with grass. I intend to do this at the end of this month.
    Currently the area which is about 1/4 acre is supporting a very healthy crop of weeds. These will be dealt with just before sowing the grass.
    Today I noticed the magnificent crop of Groundel is just about to set seed:yikes: so thought I'd hand weed the copious amounts before they shed loads of seed. The weeds are smothered with Lady Birds:scratch:. Can't see any green fly or other insects for that matter for the lady Birds to feed on. Why the hell are they there? Not a sign of any in the garden...typical:rolleyespink:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,494
      If I find any ladybirds in the garden I carefully collect them and put them in the greenhouse. We have very little trouble with aphids in there :thumbsup:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,164
      We had swarms of ladybirds over the summer very thick on the ground and nothing to feed on, it was the same as 1976 - seem to recall they flew/blew over from the continent. Wonder if they will be allowed in after Brexit :)

• Funny Funny x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,494
        I think they will as they fill a skilled job sector. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,800
          Move the groundel to your garden, sorted!