new at planting stuff but trying hard

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by nutz, Aug 28, 2015.

1. nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    mainly having a go at growing veg and fruit but finding things a bit hard , think i over watered some stuff

2. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Hi @nutz, :sign0016: to the forum.
    I'm sure we can help you, what are you growing? :)

3. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    :sign0016: It's lovely here :new: Too.
    Im sure you will find all the answers you need here.
    You just have to ask:blue thumb:

4. nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    hi at moment carrots , onions , lettuce , kale , carrots have just broken through looking ok as they like water , kale growing nicely , onions are up and down went a bit limp but hopefully will survive , lettuce got some growing in pots doing nice but got some in large pots that went droopy and leaves started breaking off , bought a cheap water detector thing and every pot was well watered so leaving them alone for couple of days see if they survive a slight dry out ,

nutz

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Don't worry, nutz, gardening is meant to be enjoyed so don't get stressed out about things. Take a step back and ask a few questions and the GC Gang will try to help out.:thumbsup::snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,092
      It is a difficult time of the year too, don't be hard on yourself, next year will be amazing:hapfeet:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,456
        With most veg it's difficult to overwater if you have good drainage. It's about time to lift most onions, but I suppose that would depend on when you planted them.

• Like Like x 1
        • nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +9
          [QUOTE="shiney, post: time to lift most onions, but I suppose that would depend on when you planted them.[/QUOTE]

doing some different types of onions in pots in greenhouse and some in large grow bags in garden covered with fleece

• Like Like x 1
          • nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +9
            bought meself a cheap moisture monitor just pop into soil and it stops flashing if moist enough , will just wait a while until watering again and see how things go if i can get half of what i planted fit to eat that will be good start

• Like Like x 2
            • nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +9
              well went into greenhouse where i have a few pots growing mixed salad leaves and found a few killed off plants they are not very big at the moment , went all around inside of greenhouse lifted every pot and found 2 unwelcome visitors bloody slugs , they are now swimming in a salt bath will keep checking daily for them have put slug pellets around inside of greenhouse has dont want to hurt other animals need to also buy a organic spray as noticed a few small insects on one plant so have placed that outside away from greenhouse , anyone know a good way of spraying small food items ?

• Chesterfieldgardener

Chesterfieldgardener Gardener

House husband
              Ratings:
              +198
              I've been growing veg for 8 years in my 6 small (make that very small) plots dug out from a massive lawn. Although forums such as this are great for sharing advice and experience - as is the internet in general - I am still learning by trial and error. The 2 main things I have found is that 1) advice can be so contradictory (what works for one doesn't always seem to work for others), and 2) what grows and produces successfully one year can just as easily be a failure the following! Some veg which are supposed to be easy to grow, I have found impossible to grow, whilst others supposedly for master-gardeners, have been easy as can be.

The 2 best comments I have read in this thread are: "Dont be hard on yourself.." and "Don't get stressed..." I'm still also working on those 2 pieces of advice which are easier said than done - good luck :)

• Like Like x 3
              • nutz

nutz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +9
                yup it is trial and error i am learning about different types of compost for different fruit and veg always thought bang seeds in soil and watch lol , guess being new to this anything that does grow and is edible is a bonus

• Chesterfieldgardener

Chesterfieldgardener Gardener

House husband
                Ratings:
                +198
                Ya know what... Even "bang in seeds and watch" (depending what seeds, when & where, of course) is no bad thing always! After the first 2 years, I finally decided to crank it up a pace and invested in a small green-house for 2 main uses. First to start off seedlings from seeds (then bang in seedlings and watch!) followed by summer-growing of toms and cucs.
                And if you are a "foodie" with a reasonable sized freezer, potentially there's a ton of money to be saved, ultimately paying for the freezer and greenhouse, not to mention pitching in to decrease the supermarket profits & investors' dividends. As they say "Every little helps... Eat well for less, etc....." :)

• Like Like x 1
                • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  I agree with everything Chesterfieldgardener has said. I'd add "there is always next year, God willing" when you have made a Horlicks of something:).
                  I am quite an experienced gardener and regularly am scratching my head as to why something has legged up and something else has been spectacular. Taking Chesterfieldgardener's profile picture as an example. I tried growing the blue poppy (Meconopsis) from seed for 3 years with not even a seedling to show for my efforts. Year 4 the seed came up like Cress and I could have supplied just about every garden centre in the UK! Why the difference? god only knows.
                  Enjoy your garden and your successes, the failures? well blame the weather, it is often the culprit and if it isn't it's a good excuse. Photo shows 1 of my latest c ups. You'll notice the majority of the Lilies are yellow and red but there is a muckle great big pink 1 at the back of the tub...:oopss:
                  IMG_1125.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015