New border plants.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rustyroots, Jun 18, 2016.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Good Morning All,

At present there are no borders in the gardens, the lawns in front garden go right up to the wall and in rear right up to fence. It is quite difficult to cut lawns upto these. So I want to put a border down each side of the gardens, this is a project that I want to get ready for next spring, and fill with a mixture of perennials and annuals to give it some colour. I would like to grow as much from seed as possible, would now be a good time to sow the perrenials that I would like and overwinter in greenhouse?

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
    • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      Yes definitely. You could sow hollyhocks, lupins, salvia and many more. Don't Biennials such as wallflowers and foxgloves too. You might want to consider some shrubs too for year round interest.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Rusty,

Now is the perfect time to sow hardy perennials from seed :)

I always sow mine during June and into the start of July.

The list at this time of year is almost endless, right from little tiddlers such as Aubrieta, Alyssum Saxatile up to the giant Hollyhocks, Delphiniums and everything in between, like Carnations, Lupins, Aquilegia, Campanula and Echinacea.

Also, don't forget about biennials like Wallflowers, Foxgloves, Forget me nots, Canterbury Bells and Sweet Williams.

Everything that you sow now will be a reasonably sized plant ready to plant out in late September/October and a lot will provide some " green " over the Winter.

If you can't plant them out this Autumn, I would leave them in their pots outside somewhere sheltered until next Spring. A thing to remember is that a lot of perennials need to go through a cold spell to initiate flowering for next year which they wouldn't get if they were kept in a greenhouse over the Winter.

PS..... Please note that I've only been talking about Hardy Perennials here, for half hardy and tender species it's best to refer to the individual species/seed packets as a lot of these need differing germination times, temperatures and Winter care regimes.