New camera suggestions please..

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Marley Farley, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: I am looking into getting a new camera.. It is one to just tuck in my pocket when I go out dog walking, or out with my grand children etc instead of taking my big Fuji, which can be cumbersome...

:scratch: Trouble is I want this little camera to have plenty all the good things... Like a high pixal photo... No a noise in the photo at all. Nice clean clear shots.. Goods for panoramas, not distant looking little shots. Excellent close up & portrait shots..
    AA batteries if possible & a memory card....

:cnfs: I have spent ages looking & cannot decide... So any pointers & Ideas from all of you would be appreciated..:)

Many thanks
    Marley.:)

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi marley, i bought a kodak easy share v1253 12 mega pixels, it takes nice pictures easy to use, great size you can put it in your pocket, i did have my little clearshot sony in that was a great little camera unfortunately it got stolen out of hubbys bag when he came back from africa via france.i wanted a panasonic lumix they are great cameras might buy one in the future you can get the 12 mega pixels but they are very expensive well over £200, heres pics of my kodak, i know what you mean as ive got the fuji s9600 and its quite big to carry around
    hope you decide and good luck with what you get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +54,877
    :) Hi, Marley. You may want to give my Sis a shout. You've seen the quality of her photos and hers is a pocket one, a Ricoh I believe. She's off to the UK at the crack of dawn for a couple of weeks but she'll probably be on line later.

Good luck in finding something that suits your requirements.

Speak later. :luv:

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Marley I have to go with the Cannon Brand ,I have the Cannon A590is,Which is always in my pocket:) Does everything I ask of it:thumb:And at around £80 The best value on the Market:)
    [​IMG]
    8 Mega Pixel CCD for Ultra Sharp Images
    4x Optical Zoom (35-140mm on 35mm) plus 4x Digital Zoom
    [align=left]2.5 Inch Full Colour LCD Monitor plus Optical Image Viewfinder
    [/align]
    VGA Movies with Sound at 30 or 15 Frames per Second
    19 Dedicated Shooting Modes with My Colours
    Face Detection Technology
    Operates on Standard AA Batteries or Rechargeables
    Optical Image Stabiliser

5. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Is the Canon one, the one you take all your wonderful photos with ? Have always admired some of your photos as the shots are so clear and colourful !!

We had a lovely camera before (also a cannon one but very, very expensive) but it somehow ended up knocked on the floor and broke, so am borrowing my mums kodak easyshare at the moment but am definately on the look out for something good and reasonable priced.

My other half keeps/breeds Malawi Chichlid fish and is often taking photos of the vivid colours etc .... so do you think yours would be good for that also ?

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Sam about 40% of my Images ,I have reviewed a lot of Cameras for a local Magazine and club,Both Digital compact and DSLR .
    Cannon have Introduced a lot of new cameras since the A590 But .IMHO It is still the best of the(Power Shot is )Models.just took these might help you,Absolutely no enhancement at all,what you see is what the Camera Delivered.:thumb:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Marley, as Sis said, I have a Ricoh Caplio R6. The R8 came out just after I bought mine, that's why I got it cheap, only €150 down from €300, last September. I used it for the first time when we visited Sis and b-i-l in Portugal last October-November.

There are all sorts of features on it, many of which I have never even got around to reading all about, never mind use them.

The Canon Ixus is good too, that is what I was actually thinking about buying, but then I saw the Ricoh, and my mind was immediately made up.

If you google it, you'll find out all about it. Good Luck with whatever you decide on getting.

8. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that Wiseoldowl .... will have a look round at prices etc but think it might be a good option ..... might have to wait till the winter now though when im not spending money on plants!

Your Jack Russell - does its ears usually stick up ? Reason I ask is because our little Jack has pricked ears so just wondered if yours had too as never seen it on a Jack before although the vets did say its quite common

9. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Hi Sam Yes all the time although her Mum and Dads don,t and they are both Rough haired where Penny is Smooth,Sorry about this Marley,
    nearly going off topic:hehe::)

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    change the subject a little took these pics yesterday with my kodak i was on top of promenade and used the zoom 12 pixels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: OK thank you everyone,rosa Vicky Kedi & Woo Thank you too.. I have been very taken by your Ricoh Kedi & had a good look at the Kodaks rosa...
    I am very taken with the powershots though as I had one years ago as my first digi camera & loved it to bits.. An excellent camera.. Thanks for putting up the pics too Woo.. They seem beautifully clear..
    Off out shortly, so will go to the Camera Exchange & have a look I think... Thank you all very much for your views & Ideas.. Will let you know how I get on later.... :thmb:

12. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a sony cybershot and I love it. No shutter delay. Little need of flash 7'2 megapixels. I just shove it in my pocket for the very reasons you state Marley. Just point and shoot:)

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Again a superb camera as you say Granny & thanks for taking the time, but it comes back to the dedicated battery & that is the bit I am trying to avoid... :flag:
    I went to the camera shop & looked & tried a few had a good chat & I think I am going to get a power shot.... There is a very good deal for one with Dell & another place on the Internet, so will let you know..... Thanks everyone for your input..:thmb:

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I like my Canon S3 (there will be a newer model, by now, no doubt - and presumably more than the 6 MP of the S3 I have)

Its a pocket buster, I'm afraid, but I moved up from a pocket-sized digital camera (Canon A70 I think) and wanted something that got me a little closer to my film SLR's of yester-year.

Take 4 AA batteries :thumb:
    Nice range of adjustments
    twist-any-angle preview LCD but also Viewfinder - great for really bright sunlight, and because I am old fashioned! (its actually an LCD in the viewfinder, so not as clear as an optical path, but its fine for framing the shot)
    12x optical Zoom (15x digital I think) ...
    ... and stability control means that you can hand hold full zoom without tripod etc.
    Panorama mode (shows 50% of previous image in viewfinder to assist lining up next frame)

Movies limited to 1 minute (regardless of card size) - but I believe this no longer the case on current models

Cannon software suits me well.

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Oh nice camera Kristen... I can quite see why you like it...!
    I do alread have a Fuji Finepix S9600, http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/fuji-finepix-s9600.cfm which is pretty darn close to an SLR, but too big to just drop in my pocket.... Which I think the S3 would be as well..:wink:

I had an old A70 when they came out too & a smashing camera, so that is why I am considering a Canon again as it will be my 2nd camera so to speak as I love my Fuji 1st..!!:D