new gardener; flowers for a grave? and a shaded patch?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by asam ak, Jul 9, 2011.

1. asam ak

asam ak Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi this is my first post, Im a young new gardener its only my third summer and I've gone all out in the garden going for a variety spread of bulbs n plugs along the borders.

The dutch iris, lillies, anemones, snapdragons busy lizzies and climbing roses are all flowering really well. However there's a path at the back that is partly shaded by tree branches that receives about 30% sunshine where the paeony are not growing. Can anyone suggest what I could plant there. As its far back. I was thinking big of either flowering climbers or something like hollyhocks. Can someone suggest something suitable and when and how to best plant.

I started gardening following my mothers untimely death and wanted plant flowers along her grave. I have some snap dragongs flute pillows and dahlias at the back. The gardening issue I have is the soil dries out as I cannot water daily I use water granules n basket compost to keep the soil from drying out. I have been told gazanias are good for withstanding sub conditions. Can anyone suggest what and when n how best plant. My mothers favourite colours were purple lilac and maroon.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi asam ak,
    very nice thought of you to plant some flowers near your mothers grave.

It is quite frequent in Germany to do so, therefore if one could find out what they plant over there that would be quite a help.

Anyway, I will keep my eyes open and see if I can
    come up with some more information.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] asam, what about some Hellebores, some of the taller hardy geraniums, Zantedeschia lilies or ferns for the shady garden area..
    I am so saorry to hear about your Mum, but you can make her grave very pretty by planting up hardy perennial Alpines, Heathers Lily of the valley & spring & summer flowering bulbs, Sempervivums, Euphorbias (low growing) these are all very drought tolerant once established but everything needs watering to get established, Strawberries are always jolly too.. Are you allowed to plant in the ground & do you have a height restriction.. Allot of Cemeteries do for the mowing people.. Well hope there are a few suitable ideas there.. :dbgrtmb:

4. Rockmoc

Rockmoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Asam, it is touching that you want to do this for your mum. What about a rose bush they can sustain in low sunlight? Hostas are great they flower beautifully and have beautiful leaves.

5. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Here I am with some suggestions:

AEONIUM
    [​IMG]
    pic source: smgrowers.com

BABY FAURAX
    [​IMG]
    pic source: www.rosesunlimiteddownroot.com

FRITILLARIA PERSICA
    [​IMG]
    pic source: www.tradeonlyplantsales.com

AJUGA REPTANS
    [​IMG]
    pic source: www.cambridge2000.com

MINI CARNATIONS
    Flowers - Mini Carnations Royalty Free Stock Photo, Pictures, Images And Stock Photography. Image 7260267.

AQUILEGIA
    [​IMG]
    pic source: about-garden.com

Here are some suggestion of plants which should be suitable for the situation but of course they are not plastic...meaning to say that they need to be watered regularly . Maybe they would stand better chances in the ground rather than a pot...

There is plenty of beautiful flowers growing wild that rely uniquely on the rain to get water...
    One could take inspiration from the wild to see what grows easily in the area or even inspiration from nearby cemeteries.

I recently went to the amazing NUNHEAD cemetery in London which is overgrown but so big and fascinating to discover.

Aside from some very unusual birds singing in the huge trees, here and there you would find a thriving flower plant - growing completely unassisted, I imagine.
    I remember distinctly an aquilegia being there...

6. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in Brompton Cemetery recently and was struck by how well maintained and well designed the new burials are. The newer ones have (by and large) small shrubs/blue grass bushes lining the cut of the grave, with Snapdragons/mini-Roses/Rosemary bushes elegantly placed within. Very, very nice to look at.

• Like Like x 1
    • miraflores

Ratings:
      +2,389
      and more...
      (these two resist very well to lack of water)

SEDUM SPECTABILIS
      [​IMG]

SEDUM SIEBOLDII

[​IMG]
      image source: www.etera.com