1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Gardener - Help!

Discussion in 'How To Use Xenforo' started by alvin, Sep 10, 2018.

1. alvin

alvin Apprentice Gardener

HR Professional
    Ratings:
    +1
    D9767AB5-4FF1-4DCB-AFF2-6E5C3A108A57.jpeg

Hello!
    I’ve recently moved house and finally have a garden - hurrah!

It’s quite small and bricked however we want to level it out so it’s on 2 levels rather than 3 - we’ve done quite a bit already however the problem we have is that we’re worried the top level might be supporting / holding up the back wall - is this something we can or should try ourselves or should we get in a professional... ?

The below are some before pics...

D9767AB5-4FF1-4DCB-AFF2-6E5C3A108A57.jpeg

37BACB01-752B-46A1-9B3A-6598A4BCC294.jpeg

And this is now after getting rid of a few bits and cutting things down/back.

83D0311A-FAB3-4B4F-88A8-DCD23594C2EC.jpeg

62DB55E2-FF8B-4726-95E0-58C56CAD8C89.jpeg

And this is on the right hand side ... no idea what they were thinking?! ...

95453C03-5336-4BA3-8B61-71F2D54FD0CE.jpeg

What we want to do it get rid of the little wall and make the grass reach that back wall so it’s flat...

Any help or advice???

Thank you! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • andrews

andrews Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
      Ratings:
      +340
      I would dig a hole at the side of the rear retaining wall and see if the wall goes down to the level that you want the garden to be.

Have a look at neighbours gardens - the level of their gardens will be a good indicator of where the retaining wall ends.

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,614
      @Zigs Could you please move this thread to a more appropriate place. I'm sure it will get more responses that way. Plus it's @alvin's birthday today.

:snorky:

G.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Gardener

Ratings:
      +991
      Until recently. To get rid of rubbish, waste whatever. Dig a hole in the garden and bury it. Now local councils provide at least a three bin service to dispose of waste. In my tiny garden. I have an island bed. It is made up of unwanted ballast. I built a wall aeound it from bricks and brolen paving slabs. Atop of it, there is a small moulded fish pond, the other half is something of an alpine garden or perhaps a sun bed for the local cats.

Despite all the many books etc on gardening. The fact remains. Do what you want.