New gardener looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Karen1986, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I posted a message last year about planting plants to help with ground cover around the edging over my grass. I’m just getting round to it this year and would appreciate a bit more advice. I know very little about gardening but am trying to learn

I’ve uploaded a picture of where I’d like to plant and have compost and fertiliser on order. What I’m wondering is:

- As the area is on a slope, will I be able to mix through so post without it spilling onto my grass or, more importantly, damaging my neighbour’s fence? I plan on digging small anoints of soil out, mixing it with compost and fertiliser then putting it back down?
    - I have phlox subulata moerheimmi on order. Is this likely to grow there, with new soil down? Again, I’m worried it takes over my neighbour’s garden or damaged their fence!

Thanks!
    K

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,335
    Hello, I think your best bet is to scrape off the stony layer if possible, and keep it to one side. Then enrich the soil concentrating on the part nearest your edging board. Once your plants are in, replace the stones around them and water in. Phlox subulata is a well-behaved plant, so shouldn't get invasive. As long as you don't water directly onto the fence, there shouldn't be a problem!

3. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    As shown in your pics, your neighbour has fitted gravel boards to the bottom of their side of the fence.

To help protect the fence against your soil /plants we would suggest you fit a wooden gravel board or some concrete edging strips between the posts, so it just clear of the actual fence panel.

eg - Edging, Coping Stones & Kerbs | Wickes

Search gravel board | Wickes.co.uk