New gardener needs help

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by NicolaD, Feb 26, 2014.

1. NicolaD

NicolaD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I am a new gardener and am hoping to set up a vegetable and herb garden for this year. I have just finished constructing my raised vegetable patches and vertical herb garden, both are made out of free reclaimed wood.

I am hoping to keep gardening costs down and as this is my first year of gardening I don't have many resources or collections of seeds to use. If anyone would be kind enough to donate any easy to grow vegetable or herb seeds as an introduction to gardening I would be very grateful.

Any advice regarding when seeds should be planted and when they should be moved outside would also be very much appreciated. I have always been interested in gardening as a child and this is my first year of having my own garden. I am very excited to get started but feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the information and choices available.

Many thanks,
    Nicola

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      Hello and welcome to the forum Nicola :)

A veg plot is a great way to save money, get a bit of exercise and the chance to eat something much nicer than can be bought in shops. So you've made a good start building your raised bed.

It's best to grow what you like, so let us know what sorts of things you intend to grow: salad leafs are easy (lettuce, rocket, spinach), runner beans are very productive and cost effective, then there are things like courgettes which are relatively easy then tomatoes and cucumber if you feel adventurous.

We did have a seed swap parcel doing the rounds, but you'll need to be a member for three months, here's the thread:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/2014-seed-swap.53864/

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
        Ratings:
        +1,984
        Welcome Nicola :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,410
          Seeds are very cheap if u look in pound shops / wilko etc.

You can get bags of compost starting at £1 in wilko I am told u get what u pay for tho so if u can manage a more expensive one their are generally 3 for £10. I would def look at wilko online first

• Agree Agree x 2
          • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,073
            Hi NicolaD, and welcome to GC – It would be helpful if you could add your location to your profile as advice such as planting out and harvesting times vary greatly up and down the land, and who knows, you might be near a fellow member who could let you have some seeds and other items if not far away.

a-a

• Agree Agree x 3
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              Hello and welcome:)

As for cheap and easy veg, you could grow onions from sets. You just stick them in the soil and wait, and that's more or less it (although more competitive growers will probably disagree).

Leaf beet, which goes by the name of 'Rainbow chard' or 'Chard - Bright lights' is easy, and gives you a nice colourful display of leaves that you can cut off as and when you need them, leaving the plant in place, and then it just grows new ones to replace what you cut off. Its a delicious alternative to lettuce in salads, and some say you can use it in stir fries and such but I find it best raw.