New gardener with small garden and rabbit issues, please help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rabbit, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rabbit

rabbit Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I am new to gardening and currently have a small plastic greenhouse and a few grow bags. My garden/ court yard has no grass. My tomato plants and courgettes have today been planted into grow bags and are now in my smallish garden.

I have a few issues/ questions

1. How much space do plants need to grow?

2. I own a rabbit who has a plant obsession, she has already managed to eat my pepper plant, and I really want to prevent her from damaging the plants that I've just put in the grow bags. How do I do this without causing issues to the growth of the plants? I have currently put some mesh sheets around it it but It's not very stable and I know when the bunny is loose it won't take her long to get into it. Any ideas are welcome. My brain is frazzeld for ideas. :cry3:

3. I also have some lettuce growing in trays, these have been on the outside table and the soil seems to have move around a lot, I'm not sure if this is through carelessness whilst watering, something that happens when it grows or birds pecking in the soil, any ideas?

Thanks, Vicky

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vicky & welcome to Gardeners Corner.

I'm afraid rabbits and edible plants just don't mix.

You'll need a decent bit of wire mesh with no gaps.

As long as the lettuce roots are still in the soil, they'll hang on, could be watering but just as likely blackbirds diging it out, mine were uprooting things non stop during the drought:OUCH:

• Like Like x 1
    • Lorna

Lorna Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      We don't have a pet rabbit, just whole families of wild ones! The only preparation I've found that works is something called Grazers. It seems initially expensive but you dilute it a lot so it works out very reasonably priced. You use it in a spray. It doesn't harm the rabbits (works on deer too), just makes the plant unpalatable to them. You'll probably have to reapply after a while, but I'm happy that it works. I've used it on veg and flowers and it doesn't make the veg inedible for humans or even taste funny! It works best if you apply it before the rabbit finds she likes the stuff in your grow bags!

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Hi Rabbit, welcome to Gardeners Corner.:D For the rabbits it's either wire mesh as suggested by Ziggy, or the spray [which I've no experience of] as suggested by Lorna.
      The smaller the space between plants then, usually, the smaller the plant as it's being forced to compete harder with it's neighbours.:D

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      I own a rabbit who has a plant obsession, she has already managed to eat my pepper plant, and I really want to prevent her from damaging the plants that I've just put in the grow bags. How do I do this without causing issues to the growth of the plants? I have currently put some mesh sheets around it it but It's not very stable and I know when the bunny is loose it won't take her long to get into it. Any ideas are welcome. My brain is frazzeld for ideas. :cry3:

In case "Proper Gardeners" out there are too shy to suggest the obvious, can I offer:- Lunch :mute: