New Greenhoue

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Honey Bee, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Mr HB has decided to buy me a new greenhouse, as our old 2nd hand one will look tatty in the posh new garden. He did mention about a wooden one, but I don't think he realises quite how much they cost!!!! ;)

Can anyone recommend a make of greenhouse, I have a 6 x 8 at the moment, but may be able to squeeze in a 6 x 10. I think the budget will stretch to �£700 if I smile at him sweetly. (I like the ones they advertise on the cover of Gardeners World, but I don't think he'll cough uo �£5K!!!!!!! :eek:

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Honey Bee. I've recently been looking at greenhouses and I eventually bought a small second hand one and spent what I saved on a decent base. The greenhouse parts and glass needed a lot of cleaning but was well worth it.

Pack 20 off 2' x 2' grey slabs, 1 tonne bag sand, 2 bags cement, del & VAT came to �£136 and gives a base size of 9' 9.5" x 7' 10" (slabs are actually 23.5" x 23.5") and I managed to lay it all myself. Ideally you will need access to a wheelbarrow and a sack trolley. 1 Tonne sand is plenty and I had about 2cwt spare which I've bagged up. Also have 1/2 bag cement left which would be enough for another row of slabs (about �£3 ea.)

3ft x 2ft slabs work out slightly cheaper (area for area) but the combination is different and they are really heavy for one person to lay.

Linky to pics.

Scratching around the web you can get a new 8x6 house for around �£300 (base and del extra) but if you want cedar wood (wouldn't we all :D ) then they come in a tad dearer.

Edit: Found this on E-bay Hall's Greenhouse 10x6, standard agri glass, �£294.85, free del. base extra. As always with auction sites, caveat emptor rules and do your own homework ;)

[ 19. June 2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I bought an expensive Robinsons' one with the extra tough glass and green frame. It's only 6x8' and was very difficult to put up. Wouldn't do it again, I can't see any benefit as far as plants are concerned. Buy the biggest you can fit in, as cheap as you can, but if you've got kids consider the expensive glass. Frogesque looks to have got it about right! Buy cheap and then you can get things like automatic ventilators, fans, and summer shading.

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    .... I have a roll of glass safety film in the loft ready and waiting, and the filmed glass in our greenhouse now, hopefull can be recycled!!!

5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HB, very much an individual thing of course, but these were my thoughts at the time of purchasing my greenhouse.

If it's going to be tucked away somewhere, then as said above, cheapest finish and largest you can manage. Although don't be tempted to put it within 18 inches of a fence. If like mine it is in your face in the garden then I felt that a green powder coated one was worth the extra ohhhhhhhhh! expense. Toughened glass was essential for the grandchildren.

Mine is only 6 X 8, so maximised the capacity by buying a high eaves model allowing me to have a comfortable shelf at high level above the staging and hanging baskets under the ridge.

Automatic vent in the roof is a must have, and also an extra manual vent for those cooler damp days to get rid of condensation and get more air in. At least one low level louvre vent is a must as well.

If the ouside appearance matters then so does the inside, so made all my staging and vents and painted to match green powder coating.

For easier cleaning, don't use those nasty glazing clips, may not be an option if you go for horticultural glass.

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  7. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    BM: I just thought you would like that big one that happens to be standing in Kew Gardens? :D

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks for your replies!!! Much appreciated...

The Greenhouse it VERY visible in the Garden, and as we are spending so much on all the hard landscaping, Mr HB rekons we have to spend a few more �£'s otherwise it'll spoil the outlook. I am going to wait until the end of the season, and hopefully pick up a bargain, but am looking at what is out there now. We did see an extra high one, which I liked, as Mr HB is well over 6ft, and uses the excuse of banging is head as to why he can't do the watering for me!!!!! :D ;) I was looking at the green ones, as the aluminium ones do go dull....

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Yes please over my entire garden!!!

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  12. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HB: Wait until he has bought the g/h before you tell him about the electricity supply to it and the new regulations! ;) ;)

Also the blinds..... mine is running north/south, so have to have blinds both sides!

Suppose if you were running east/west you could get away with blinds on south side only? Would save you �£60 for roller blinds. ;)

13. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D Liz: re the victorian fancy bit on the roof, you could always ask jjordie's O/H to knock one up! :D

Lovely greenhouses though, I bet we have all been drooling over these damned glossy brochures? :D

BM: There's no hope for you I am afraid, only suggestion is for you to move to Cornwall!
    That one should do you nicely? :D :D

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I wish I could move to that part of the UK, unfortunately stuck here for now. Can you imagine if I tried to sell my house what buyers would think of my jungle. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Although what I really need is a second wife that can marry me on to a Jersey Passport. :D

15. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well it seems quite trendy now, I think a lot of people would love something like that, rather than the usual boring garden with weeds and patchy lawn. Could no doubt up the asking price! I mean, for somebody who would want that, it must take years to achieve it, not to mention the care and expense.

Hardly a garden makeover in 2 days then! :D

So that's no excuse BM, your half way to Cornwall already! :D :D