New Guinea Impatiens From Seed ~ True ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Dec 9, 2011.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    I always thought that in the UK climate we could not grow New Guinea Impatiens from seed. I found this link below which has 10 or so varieties/ mixes of them from seed ! Now these are from the USA which does have a hotter climate than us . Has anyone grown this NG Divine series here ? Are they succesful - i.e do you have a decent flowering plant by July ? As we can't grow Busy Lizzies because of the pox , these would be interesting.

TIA

NEW GUINEA DIVINE SEIRES IMPATIENS 20 SEEDS | eBay

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I seem to remember buying New Guinea busy lizzie seed from T&M many years ago.
    I dont think it did very well, but I doubt it had anything to do with the climate, as I grew them in a greenhouse.

Are NG busy lizzies imune from the diease then Harry?

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      Pete , apparently the new Guinea impatiens is not susceptible to the BL mildew virus. This year all my BL's succumbed to the virus . But I did grow from plug plants Sunpatiens a variety of New Guineas which performed superbly flowering through to November with no problems.

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        I've just done a bit of googling.

Never come across this disease myself, but surely "downy mildew virus" as some of them are calling it is a bit strange.
        I cant work out if its mildew or a virus, as surely mildew is a fungal disease and virus is something else.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,477
        I have grown several thousand NG Imps in the past few years, give them a slightly higher temperature than ordinary Impatiens eg Accent or Expo and they will grow fairly fast.
        Good germination isn't always easy, 25/6c is best, covered with a layer of fine vermiculite and grown on at 21c daytime and 15c night. This is difficult in a domestic greenhouse and I haven't tried (yet) only growing them professionally.
        They do extremely well in our climate and flower well into the autumn taking a light frost.
        They are unaffected by the downy mildew affecting the other Impatiens.

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Thanks for the advice Strongy :dbgrtmb: They do sound a little difficult . I think I will put them on my planting wish list for another year , and buy my Sunpatien plugs again this March . If anybody else does try them from seed - please keep us updated.