New Home Owner

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pecker1210, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Pecker1210

Pecker1210 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just moved in a new house and have noticed that the lawn I have is very spongy?

When you walk on it it is very bouncy and seems to retain a fair bit of water?

What process do I need to do to sort this out?

I have been told it could have a lot of moss under it?

Thanks for your help!

Gavin

2. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi gavin

i found thid hope it helps

Removing moss
    If your lawn is spongy then it is likely you have a problem with moss. This tiny plant will quickly spread in damp or shaded areas and will overwhelm grass so it needs tackling to keep in check. Remove from the lawn by spreading granules or soaking the problem area with a liquid mosskiller applied from a watering can and leave until it turns black (usually within two weeks).

The dead moss can be removed by raking vigorously with a spring tined garden rake. Large bare patches of soil that are left behind after the moss has been removed should be re-sown with lawn seed.

Although mosskiller works quickly, it is a short term fix and it pays to tackle the causes of moss. To do this, remove overhanging branches that shade the lawn or allow more light through by raising the canopy of trees. If the lawn suffers from compaction or poor drainage it will need aerating.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  4. Pecker1210

Pecker1210 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So I needn't go to the extent of hiring a machine to pull the moss out?

It can be treated with the process as discribed above?

I did read that HSS hire out the thatching machines?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Gavin

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Depends on how large an area it is, if its a small lawn then a spring tine rake will be fine but for an averadge to large lawn its seriusly hard work and less eficent than a proper scarifier.

Incidentally, the HSS petrol machine is excelent and before buying one I used to regularly hire one from them.