New house new garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My husband and I moved house last year, it took forever to "do" the inside and very little was done to the garden other than a new driveway.
    An old gentleman had the house before us and grew nothing at all in the garden which seems such a shame and we are now setting a new garden.
    I did manage to plant a little border along the path/house wall and a couple more small borders.
    Along the path/house wall we planted good old fashion lavender along with rows of red tulips,grape hyacinth although the tulips have now been moved because they were too tall.
    Our "new" neighbours all approve of the progress I have posted some pictures for you to view.Helen.xxx.
    [​IMG] [/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good luck and happiness in your new home and a row of cheerfulness take each day as it comes enjoy the pleasure or visit gardens and garden centres to see what is blooming at this time of year and plan to plant a garden of all seasons with pleasure.

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Scotkat if only the weather was better Bob and I could get cracking in the side garden.
    Boy have we had some rain! :eek: Helen.xxx.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Between the showers/pouring rain Bob has done wonders in the side garden throughout July and at the moment we're at this stage.

[​IMG]
    View from the back garden up the side.

Bob's at stage three with kidney failure and doesn't have a lot of energy but he does get alot of pleasure from gardening and it's murder trying to get him to stop, although he will for a nice cuppa! :D

I will post the before pictures and some more of the side garden later.

Helen.xxx.

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Helen how inviting to your tranformation of a garden.

Your Bob is doing a marvellous job there.

Dont work him too hard and plenty cuppy's [​IMG]

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou Scotkat I'll pass on your kind words to Bob.
    Helen.xxx.

7. mackem

mackem Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Very well done Helen & Bob. [​IMG]

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Very nice Helen it's good to see you both enjoying your garden so much, make sure Bob doesn't overdo it.

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Mackem just hope the weather stops nice for us to enjoy the fruits of Bob's labour.

Walnut it's really hard to stop Bob when he gets going, it does get too much for him most of the time to be honest.
    We had a lovely garden at out old house and poor Bob didn't have the time to enjoy it, he was very lucky to retire at 50 although his health isn't that great but he is making the most of it bless him.
    Helen.xxx.

10. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's looking lovely Helen, looks like both your hard work is paying off!
    I've been "reclaiming" my garden too, and I agree with others that it's no bad thing to not rush the garden work, so you get chance to see the garden in all the seasons and to plant so that you will always have something interesting out there.
    I think there's a tree in the middle of your newly-planted side border - please could you tell me what it is? LOL, I probably should know it - I think i've seen something similar before somewhere - but it looks quite interesting...

11. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Helen and Bob! [​IMG]
    Isn't it satisfying starting from scratch?! Get things just how you want them especially with Bob's illness. Hope you make it a garden you can really enjoy without too much ongoing hard work!

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    Thank you Claire there is indeed a little tree in the middle as you can see from the picture above.
    The tree is a standard Salix "Hakuro-nishiki" or Flamingo tree if you like, it has wonderful leaves splattered with white and pink doesn't grow any taller but just thickens up.
    This tree is surrounded by buxus, chives and also some blue grape hyacinth for the spring.
    Also there are some wonderful coloured heathers "Wickwar Flame",various hostas,hebes,a couple of false hollies Osmanthus Heterophylus "Goshiki" and a little Choisya ternata "Brica" all set into a woodland feel!
    Helen.xxx.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sarah yes it is so very good to start "all over again" we were in our old house for 22 years and it's nice to try "new" ideas out without ripping up old plants we have come to love.
    There will be plenty of places for Bob to rest in the garden the new side part has a tiny decking area with room for two little chairs so we can both enjoy our garden with a nice cuppa! :D
    Helen.xxx.

14. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you mention tea...? Best put the kettle on and go enjoy my own garden! Working at 1 so a little relaxation before I get ready!! :D :D

15. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen love you garden a lot of hard work gone into that. [​IMG] [​IMG]