New Lawn deep, deep in the clay.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by TK1, Oct 3, 2022.

1. TK1

TK1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all.
    I would be grateful for some advice!

I am building a new, small bungalow. In order to achieve acceptable building heights, I have had to reduce the site level by up to 70cm, removing all topsoil and exposing thick, heavy clay in the process.

As the site is excavated it acts as a bit of a sump to neighbouring land. I have a large underground tank and pump system to remove rainwater into the local sewer system.

I will have a small garden, with space for a lawn of about 25m2 (5m x 5m). I had resigned myself to fake grass, but have come to wonder whether I could in fact grow a decent lawn.

Working from the top down, my idea is to create the following arrangement:

1. A lawn grown from tough grass seed (i.e one that can withstand kids playing) or suitable turf rolls.

2. About 8 inches of topsoil, mixed in with some gravel perhaps.

3. Some sort of spiking of the clay bed (don't know exactly why or how!).

4. A French drainage system (100mm pipe, perforated, wraped in geotextile membrance and set in shingle) leading into the rainwater / sewer system.

Am I on the right track? I don't know what sort of seed or turf to go for, or if there are some important tricks and techniques I should use. The drainage seems like the right thing to do, but I've no idea if it will work.

The lawn should get decent sunlight, and though I intend to plant a few medium size fruit trees around the edge of the garden, these will be in raised planters rather than in the lawn itself.

Thanks

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +877
    As far as I know building regulations here do not allow rain or storm water drains be feed into sewer systems. If the sewer system blocks up for some reason you pumping in rain water could lead to sewer water flooding out into places it wont be appreciated. Not sure where you are building but I think you need to at least consult with those who are responsible for the sewer system before you start pumping water from your garden into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • TK1

TK1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks @Macraignil , the whole system has been signed off by the sewer/water board (at no small cost!).

• Like Like x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,876
        All sounds good to me TK1 . You could pick up a general hardwearing seed mix but seen as you are going to all that expense might as well look for a top quality seed hardwearing seed mix you will have a better lawn . They quite a lot to pick from but anything what says premier league football pitch or something similar is hardwearing with hopefully better cultivars of grass . If you are unsure let me know what grass seed you are looking at and I'll have a look .

You can turf it if you wish , same applies with turf you get what you pay for so don't get the cheap stuff .

All preparation is the same seeding really needs to be done asap or next Spring , turf can be laid throughout winter as long as the ground is not frozen.

If you don't mind me asking where abouts roughly are you in the country ? timing between North west ( me ) and the south can be 3 weeks (give or take ) difference for lawn work

• TK1

TK1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks @Perki
        I am in the tropical South East (Surrey). I doubt I'll get the lawn in any time soon, it's too early in the project for that. I may end up with the option of seeding it or turfing it, and was thinking of something like a rye grass mix.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        Lots of surface water drainage goes into the sewers.
        Which is why Southern Water is always being fined for pouring thousands of tons of sewage straight into the sea.
        And then they say we have a water shortage.
        Sorry slightly off topic.:smile: