New Lawn - Did snow kill my seed?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by JackGuest, Mar 19, 2005.

1. JackGuest

JackGuest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I sowed a new lawn about 12 days ago after spending a fair lot of time preparing the soil.

The seed I used was 'GRASS MIX Tufflawn' containing perennial rye grass but nothing has germinated and I'm not sure why.

- A day or so after sowing we had an inch or so of snow that lay for a day, since then the weather's warmed up.

- When preparing the seed bed I may have messed up a bit and moved too much of the topsoil off, but still I would expect some germination?

- I've not got a proper watering device so although I've kept it fairly damp (and the soil was moist when I sowed) it's not been great.

(seed bought from here: http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_53&products_id=412)

Any ideas?

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would say you were a tad early sowing a lawn; the seed needs heat as well as moisture to germinate and I would think that you would not have enough natural heat in the soil yet. If the weather turns cold and wet again your seed might just rot before it gets a chance to germinate. Good luck, hope this warm spell lasts.

3. JackGuest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh bother, I just did a 'restoring' of my other lawn too, reseeding over the top - I hope they wont be potentially wasted too.

If the weather were to stay warm do you think my sowed lawn may still germinate, despite what the weather's been like up until now?

4. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Once the sun has got into the soil for a few days and warmed it up you could well be Ok providing you don't have any more prolonged cold spells - fingers crossed eh.

5. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There's one good thing about snow...... it makes your lawn look as nice as your neighbor's! [​IMG]

6. JackGuest

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Congratulations, lovely pictures

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings: