New Lawn Prep and Fertilisation

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by MaMu, Sep 9, 2023.

1. MaMu

MaMu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Bought my house beginning of the year and have slowly been working through things. The garden has a load of pea shingle across it, which I will be removing and replacing with a turfed lawn. The soil underneath is very compacted, but seems good quality, nice and dark. The soil in all the gardens is good quality, and is coming up with little fuss.

I have received an amount of horse manure, some of which is well rotted and some which is more recent. I was planning to dig this into the ground and leave it a few weeks before laying turf, but I am now getting worried this will be too strong for fresh turf. Any advice would be appreciated, as it's my first time doing this!

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. suepp

suepp Gardener

retired, then self employed
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes - fresh manure is no good for any plant, including turf or grass seed.
    If the soil's good already, it would be fine to just rake it over or give it a bit of forking to loosen it all, and then do the usual levelling and firming for the turf. You could keep all the manure for your beds and borders instead.