New Lawn Problems

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by gavjbrown, Sep 30, 2009.

1. gavjbrown

gavjbrown Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, our old lawn was always lovely and green but not very flat for mowing with a flymo. So we decided to have a new lawn laid.

The old soil was dug out to a depth up to 8 inch. Old soil was taken away and refilled with washed sand only.

The lawn looks very pale, uneven in growth and some bald spots. in fact we couldnt mow it for the first 2 months as there was no growth. It was laid about 3 months ago and after having the company back we are still watering regularly, feeding and now mowing every week.

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks the problems we are having are from the turf being laid on sand. Whenever we stop watering the lawn goes yellow and dried even though we had rain. Surely we cant be expected to water daily now its 3 months old.

I wish we had never had the work done or had someone that was happy to lay it on soil as the last lawn was pretty trouble free.

My other fear is that when summer comes round again the lawn will dry and die and the company will say its not their problem as its been layed a year.

We are in derbyshire U.K and as other know its been quite a wet summer anyway.

Is it pssoible to get a report done on the lawn to highlight what the problem is so we can go back to the compant that laid it.

Thanks Gav

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Well the sand is the obvious problem here, what was the reason for using sand instead of just levelling the existing soil?

3. gavjbrown

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, the grass level was below the new block paving we had fitted so i asked if they could dig the old soil out as i didint know how good it was and the fact that it had some sand in it from where some garden features where bedded. I was told that they would dig the old soil out and bring the level up. He said it would be more level if sand was used and that it would be less claggy than soil. It was a warm day and no rain so not sure why he thought the soil would get claggy. There was no mention of using sand until work had started. They obviously knew I didnt like having the lawn on sand as that was one of the reasons I wanted the old soil wiyh a small amount of sand removing.

Is it acceptabe to use sand in stead of soil?.

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would say that its only acceptable if its over clay and you previously had a problem with water-logging but not 8" worth. Sand holds no moisture or nutrients

The answer would be to get the company back to rectifiy their work, but easier said than done.

Good luck

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Gav, the problem is definitely the sand, the cowboys who did the job should be made to come back and do the job properly. The soil/sand mix your previous lawn was on was perfect. As you said, it was lovely and green. They should have advised you that all the ground needed was to be rotovated, adding a bit of fresh soil to bring the level up, and then returfed.:thumb: If they wont redo the job, report them to Trading Standards.

6. gavjbrown

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. I will get them a letter knocked up and get the ball rolling.

Gav

7. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,831
    I agree with what has been said. I can't imagine anyone thinking that 8" of sand below turf was a good idea!:scratch::hehe::cnfs: That's just daft. Grass is shallow rooted, only 2 or 3 inches. There are no nutrients in pure sand so no wonder it is yellow and starved. Also sand does not hold moisture. Sounds like the turf layers didn't know what they were doing.

8. gavjbrown

Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment from a distance it looks reasonable. But thats because we have been feeding and then watering very regular. I havent watered for a couple of days now so expect it to be dying off again soonish.