New lawn worries

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Boysie, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Boysie

Boysie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I seeded my new lawn 4 days ago, we had a lot of work done, the old lawn was on a slope so it was dug out, retaining wall built then levelled out,
    I have used very,very old horse manure for topsoil (5+ years old) minimum 3 inch deep and then seeded over the top,

My worry is I did not rake it in when I seeded it! I spread the seed by hand, and went over the top with the amount I spread if I’m honest!

Would it be too late to roller/ rake the seeds in after 4 days?

Another concern I have is some of the topsoil is “cracking” despite giving it a good watering everyday, but if I place my finger in the soil it seems pretty damp underneath

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Boysie, hiya :)

I would not have sown seed over horse manure no matter how well rotted.
    I would have incorporated it...mixed it..with the top few inches of top soil.:)

If mine, I would almost forget the seed you have used and start over. Mix the manure and soil, rake and level and firm well. Spend time on this process to get it right, viz., a fine surface tilth and firm level ground. Then re seed.

One point I would like to add....avoid the roller. Firming with your heels is more effective. A little more tedious and tiring but well worth it.:)

3. Boysie

Boysie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ooh dear, not really what I wanted to hear!
    I read elsewhere horse manure made a excellent topsoil, guess I misunderstood...

Think I will and wait a week or so and see what happens as it is a large area so dont want to have to start again :sad:

Pics of the offending garden before the “topsoil” was down!

Attached Files:

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Fingers crossed Boysie :)
    Hopefully it will look fine :)