new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by peach, Jan 15, 2008.

1. peach

peach Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    for years I have had a garden and chickens!I have put down bark chippings but last year I penned the chickens in one part of the garden and layed turf for my lawn, it looked lovely for a few weeks then started to dissapear.I didnt walk on it or mow it and have a hand mower on the highest cut. I am wondering if the use of bark over a long time has depleted the soil(which is full of worms and looks very healthy)can anyone advise how I can save my struggling new lawn please.Thanks.Peach.

2. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peach

Did you put any top soil down before laying the lawn ?
    when did you lay it ?

im not sure if the bark has done something (someone who knows more will help with that ) but................. it does smell strong so i wonder if it is treated with somethng that may have affected your lawn !

sorry i could'nt help more
    lisa

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Peach, the bark shouldn`t be a problem, though it would take the nitrogen from the soil. Did you dig the area before laying the turf? Did you keep it moist once it was laid? When did you lay the lawn?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Post a pic of it.

I imagine the problem may be that you didnt bring the ground up to a suficent tilth before laying and youve got a compacted 'pan' of earth under the turf.

5. peach

Ratings:
    +0
    if I new how to post a pic I would, bit of a numpty with computers.Lawn was laid by a turf man who did turn the soil over first, its only small. I spiked it in the winter, thought it might be bad drainage but it doesnt seem too wet. there is more soil than grass now but no weeds.

6. peach

Ratings:
    +0

7. peach

Ratings:
    +0
    the lawn was laid early summer last. it rained every day after laying and grew away well. I waited for 7 weeks before walking on it and then mowed with my little hand mower on the highest setting.It looked really good for about three months then started to go downhill.I could sprinkle with grass seed but that wont be any use if I dont get too the bottom of the problem.Its a very sunny but sheltered garden,Thanks for your help.

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Have you got a dog (Bitch)... my dog cassy has ruined my new lawn, its the acid in there wee.. ill have to returf some of the patches, totally dead, TUT....Dee.

9. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Puzzling that the lawn seemed to get off to a good start and then go downhill. The bark could indeed take nitrogen from the soil as it rots, and grass needs plenty of nitrogen. Now is not really the time to feed it, although an addition of winter lawn feed might help preserve what is left of the grass.
    I did wonder whether the bark might also have an inhibiting effect that is stopping the roots getting established. I believe conifer bark, if it is conifer, has resins in it that might do that.
    Finally does the area get enough sun? If it is a small shaded area it might do well through the summer and then start to become bald in the autumn.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I Doubt you prepared the ground properly and therfore have a hard pan of soil the roots canot penertrate.

Did you prepare the ground or simply lay the turf?

11. peach

Ratings:
    +0
    put a good dollop of tomato ketchup once a day on her food and the grass burning will stop. the dogs seem to really like the ketchup and it really does work.Peach

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Peach, apologies I missed your reply to my question.

Basicly I still rekon the guy didnt prepare it corectly other than that perhaps its heavily over shaded.

13. peach

Ratings:
    +0

14. peach

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must be poor preration,bit sad as I paid him for the job, lawn gets plenty of sun(when there is any)Is there anything I can do?

15. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Peach, start by aerating it. It may be a good idea to invest in an aerator if you have a large lawn, because it should be done annually (in the autumn). If it`s only a small lawn then you can use a garden fork. Doing it with a fork, you need to push the fork in to a depth of at least 4" (10cm) and you need to do this every 4" to 6" (10cm to 15cm). When youv`e done the whole lawn, brush in some lawn and turf top dressing, you just spread it on the ground and sweep it into the holes. In the spring I would then feed the lawn once a week with liquid Growmore. In the autumn repeat the aerating and again use the top dressing.