New Lawnmower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Korbinian, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Korbinian

Korbinian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to purchase a new lawnmower, but I am in a quandry as to whether i should purchase a petrol driven one, or an electric. Could anyone tell me whether, in their experience, either one gives a better cut than the other?

2. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Korbinian,go for a ptrol one every time,the cut is just as good as an electric one and the petrol ones lasts nearly for ever,plus you dont have worry about the cable [​IMG]

3. Eddie Duggan

Eddie Duggan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The choice will boil down to what is your age. Starting a petrol one can be exhausting if you do not have a selfstart. Personnally I will be going for a good electric next time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Also depends on how big an area of grass you have to cut, how long a cable you'd need if you used electric, and how accessible your grassed area is. I only started using petrol when I went into business. Sometimes it's virtually impossible to get to the grass with a heavy petrol mower so a small flymo is the only answer.

5. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Dendy. If the area is small and you mow infrequently the petrol mower's mainenance will be significant, and it might get hard to start in later life. No such probs with an electric machine but the power cord is a major drag.

In a large garden (above say 500m2 lawn) you would be barking IMO to even contemplate an electric machine.

Biggest difference in quality is down to rotary or cylinder cutting rather than the fuel used. Rotaries are a lot less trouble, but the cylinder will give a finer finish on decent turf every time.

As a contractor I only use petrol rotary mowers. I use Hondas and Hayters and I prefer the former - but many think different.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    For most domestic use i would use electric .
    Lighter,Quieter,easier to clean and put away,but of course depending on the area that requires cutting.

7. jemimatoo

jemimatoo Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am interested in buying a battery mower, I have a small garden and am fed up with cables and don't have the strength to start a petrol mower. Has anybody any experience of battery driven lawnmowers.

8. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Not myself,but neighbour used his to mow his lawn that is 50ft x 30ft,a path 60ft long and another patch 20ft x 30ft no problem! Oh,and a strip 30ft x 3ft out front ;) He had it years but I think it was ruined in last years floods.

9. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Forgot to say Hi jemimatoo,and welcome to G-C [​IMG]

10. jemimatoo

jemimatoo Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paladin and for the Welcome. Well, that was a positive reply. Just a question now of a small cheap one that is on the market or a more expensive one which I think will be too heavy but has a lithium battery.There is a huge difference in price but I have to say the cheaper one looks more like a toy.

11. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If it has a Lithium-Ion (Li-on) battery then it will charge to about 80% in about 30 mins (depending on charger) plus it will not loose it's charge when not in use.

You can also top it up when ever as this sort of battery doesn't have a memory.