New Member with a lot of hard work ahead

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by liam green, May 9, 2016.

1. liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all!

Last april myself and my partner bought our 1930's house, after viewing it at night :scratch:, we fell in love with the potential of this old property with original floors indoors, however we didn't expect the garden to be quite the extensive project it has now began to be and although I'm doing 90% of the work myself i have found I'm constantly asking for advise so here i am asking for some guidance :).
    heres a couple pictures of where we started and where we are at now, as you can see we started with a lot of overgrown and also dead trees and decided best to strip the garden back to its complete shell and start designing and next is fencing, however we have a lot of concrete paths that are coming up with a bit of hard work and a very uneven plot especially at the end of the garden.
    My Idea is to rotavate the top of the garden where the concrete was too and to rake it level but not using a rotavator before and not levelling a garden before i was wondering if there is anything else i need to consider before doing this.
    Sorry for the essay and ALL ideas and hints are appreciated massively.
    11207336_10153211768520351_3104743615474348778_n.jpg 11070626_10153211768425351_3952345333677778848_n.jpg 13138738_10154004699640351_447113672500636708_n.jpg 13091910_10154004699725351_3533140717017956979_n.jpg 13094222_10154004700000351_6874669261538034197_n.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Super Lucyjin

Super Lucyjin dinnae fash yersel

Ratings:
      +353
      Welcome, Liam! What a lovely long garden, what direction does it face?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,821
      Welcome to GC @liam green :sign0016:

You will get plenty of advice and suggestions here, and hopefully a lot of good banter too. I will admit to being biased, but I can honestly say that the GC gang are the best you could ever ask for.

Looks like you have a cracker of a plot, with oodles of potential! Your neighbours must love you already for getting rid of all those trees -- bet they have a lot more light in their garden now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
        Ratings:
        +34
        hi guys!
        the garden faces east, as the sun sets it keeps the most sun on the very bottom of the garden so I'm going to hopefully build a nice patio and bedding area at the bottom with dare i say it a home made wood burning pizza oven ( luckily i work with these so know the basics )
        And yes FC they have all commented on the extra light! and its brightened our kitchen up no end going to pot some smaller fruit trees that i can hopefully plant in bedders and won't get out of hand but ill need advise on them at a later date haha

• Like Like x 5
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
          Ratings:
          +7,491
          Hi Liam...welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

:welcome1:

• liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
          Ratings:
          +34
          cheers fern,

does anyone here have any advice when it comes to using wooden posts for supports for decking?
          i plan to have a raised deck however i have quite wet ground yearly round, i want to do my decking but i don't want to find in 2-3 years I'm replacing the support posts as they have become rotten? what would be the best way ?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          :sign0016: to GC @liam green lovely of you to join us and really helpful of you to post pictures. You've put a lot of hard work and effort in clearing your space, well done! You have a really good sized garden to play with there :thumbsup:

One of our members has been posting about his decking progress for a few weeks now and may be able to give you some sound advice based on his own knowledge and experience. I'm tagging @martin-f and he'll hopefully see this and be able to offer you a tip or two. I'm sure we have other members who could also pass on their experiences too but my brain isn't function beyond last Wednesday at the moment :heehee:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress and sharing your gardening journey with you.

Congratulations on your new home and I hope you have many happy and precious times there :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,821
            I am no expert, but I would think that if they were sturdy enough, properly treated and set into postcrete you should get a good few years out of them? You might also want to consider some sort of drainage (French drain maybe?) - our @Zigs would be a good one to guide you on that.

Don't forget to take lots of pics as you go - it is really amazing when you look back at how you have done over the months and years; that, and we are as nosey as hell too :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
              +10,302
              Hi Liam welcome to the forum,

I have clay about 14 inch down so ive used sleepers and sat them on blocks with gravel below for drainage, you have lots of options doing it this way was more expensive than other ways but the end result looks great to me, you can follow my progress from here.
              http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/work-in-progress.92831/page-3
              IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0781.JPG

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,834
                Hi Liam, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::snork:

• liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
                Ratings:
                +34
                hi martin, cheers for the advice! the decking is probably looking like a mid summer job now but I'm trying to base it on long lasting rather than worrying about cost, I'm a firm believer of do it cheap do it twice or even thrice lol. i have also found a merchant selling broken concrete fence posts at £1 a foot so contemplating getting a shed load of 3 foot posts and concreting them 2 foot deep and securing the raised deck to the top with iron angle brackets but again thats for the future, i have however just ordered my 16 fence panels and posts and gravel boards to suit, for fitting this weekend, one query for anyone who has done concrete post fencing , is postcrete as hard and long lasting a fix as ballast and cement mix? if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated as my panels come friday so need to get the fix by then
                Thanks Again guys

• Like Like x 1
                • liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
                  Ratings:
                  +34
                  hi Guys and girls,
                  8ft concrete fence posts and and panels and gravel boards coming friday afternoon for a weekend of graft, still not decided on post crete or ballast and cement mix to secure the posts I'm burying them 2 ft deep each any ideas to stop any movement now and in the future?
                  all help appreciated guys thanks

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +45,618
                    I'd mix it myself from ballast and cement as it will be much cheaper and you can control the mixture better, go for 5:1 for a stronger mix. Some of the postcrete type products have accelerators added to make them set really quickly, I've found this is a waste of money and unless you work really quickly can actually be a negative. DIY concrete will hold a fence post in place till it sets and give you plenty of time to align, use an old post to tamp it down (get rid of air bubbles). Use a big spirit level for verticals and ensure you get the tops all at the same height. Do you slide the panels in afterwards or have they got fixings? Either way do a trail fit to ensure you have the posts at the correct spacing. Don't actually fix the fence panels in until the concrete has set, 3 or 4 days should be enough and use temporary supports in case winds are predicted.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Informative Informative x 2
                    • liam green

liam green Gardener

Gas engineer
                      Ratings:
                      +34
                      Perfect that's what I was after really my head was saying ballast concrete mix but a few people I know have used postcrete but it's so much more expensive! If there is no actual benefit over a traditional mix then a traditional mix it will be! I'll get some pictures up Sunday of my progress

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                      +10,302
                      TBH Liam nothing wrong with postcrete your creating yourself work for nothing using anything else, ive been in the building trade for nearly 30yrs :blue thumb:.

• Like Like x 2