Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by indian, Feb 16, 2008.

1. indian

indian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone
    Well we live in Bulgaria,have been here now for 10 months such a lovely country the villagers are so helpful and friendly,and the country side is fantastic and so for us starts a new life, sometimes difficult as regards the language but we get by and are now starting to have lessons.well as regards the land that is with the house its 2600 sq mtrs,a lot of it taken up with Mulberry trees over 90 of them so some will have to come out to make room for fruit trees,as regards growing veg totaly new to me except when i was a boy helping out my parents,so have a lot to learn different growing times and different veg,have got some garlic growing and tomatoe seeds growing,but as we still have snow and minus 10 we wont be doing much until next month.So will be asking lots of questions.
    Thanks Tony & Hilary

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,180
    Hello, indian ... welcome to GC.

I have changed countries as well so can appreciate where you are coming from. [​IMG]

Because of my climate, I probably won't be of much use to you ... plus I'm not a veggie growing person ... but there are lots of friendly folk here who will gladly invade your privacy to advise you on basically anything you want to talk about. :D

We have Mulberry trees here also.

Hope both of you enjoy the forum. [​IMG]

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tony and Hilary. Welcome to GC. It's always difficult getting/giving advice from a different temperature zone, but I guess there are not too many Bulgarian Gardening forums. Still I am sure we will all be interested in hearing about and seeing (if you can post some pictures) your exploits. LoL has managed to adapt from Portugal so it's really what you make of it.

4. indian

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks both l.o.l see u have gone for the sunny climate,last may we were up in the 40s so yes we do get some realy hot weather.Yes i will put some pics up when i get used to the site.
    Thanks both
    T & H

5. jazz

jazz Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony & Hilary I have been to Bulgaria on holiday a couple of times and really loved it the people are very helpful. I too nearly bought a property but it was too small. I hope you will be very happy and I have wonderful memories of Bulgaria Welcome to GC Jazz [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Tony and Hilary, and welcome to the site.

7. indian

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jazz - daitheplant
    Glad you liked Bulgaria,there are so many big houses for sale here where did you look.
    T & H

8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Tony and Hilary welcome to the forum,Bulgaria temperature zone is 5 to 6 (we in our location are 8b)in accordance with the usda hardiness zone scale which is used universally therefore you are a lot cooler than us in winter and will be a lot later starting things into growth,it should be no deterent so good luck with your venture, http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html

10. indian

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Walnut thanks just looked on the map u supplied we are in zone 7 as we come under Stara Zagora region so that is good to know. Lovely sunny day and wind chill factor -16 studeno

11. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Tony & Hilary,
    Belated welcome to you both from a in-expert garderner. Therefore, don't expect much help from me, just a request for a couple of things.

1. My brother has an apartment in Bulgaria due to be finished this March. Which part are you in? Don't give me details, just the area & i can see if my brother is near there. Just to get an idea what it's like etc.

2. Give us loads of photos if you can. it makes us feel nearer (well me anyway) & as you will see from this site, there are many varied gardeners here.

Best wishes for your retirement there. Enjoy a slower pace of life.

Cheers

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi and Welcome [​IMG] You sure have worked hard over there and the results are brilliant. What a beautiful place to live in..

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tony & Hilary welcome to the forum I'm sure you will get plenty of advice and helpful hints from the good people on here.

It must be a very exciting time for you both what with a new country and new garden to boot. Good luck with your gardening adventures.Hel.xxx.

14. indian

Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou to all
    Well Borrower we live in Glavan in the Stara Zagors region,i expect your brother will be in the Bourgas area as soon as i get to grips with how to load pics i will post some.
    T & H

15. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,180
    Hi again indian. My friend has five apartments there ... I don't know where but will ask. I think they are in the "off plan" phase and a bit nightmarish. [​IMG]

You probably get hotter than I do, temperature wise in the country that is, as we never reached 40 last year. :D We are pretty moderate as far as things go ... not TOO hot and never cold, a perfect balance I think. [​IMG]

Loading pics is fine ... if I can do it, anyone can. [​IMG]