new photo

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by willow13, Oct 16, 2010.

1. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    I took this photo at newmiller dam in wakefield yorkshire. i was trying out my new canon eos 1000d. what do you all think of it,be honest i wont be offended :lollol:

willow

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    You've done just about as well as you could under those rather flat and dull conditions Willow. It's difficult to prevent the sky and highlights being over exposed while preserving details in the shadows. Your compostion is good with the dead trees forming the right side of frame and adding interest. In fact I'd be tempted to crop about half the foreground, perhaps as far as the white reflections go as it would focus more attention on the trees. The shape of the lake makes it look like you've got a slight list to the right so rotating the image one or two degress ccw might help.
    Hope you are enjoyig your new Canon and that you get some nice bright days soon to get out and about with it. It's very similar to my Canon.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Willow yes a great photo under the conditions,maybe taken on a tripod with a cable release perhaps would have given you more options ie/ shutter speed/aperture and depth of field,not a criticism just a friendly observation:) its all about taking 5 or 6 images on different camera settings jot them down in a little note book,I still do this now,its very helpful for any future shots:thmb::)

4. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    thankyou both for your nice comments. yes the day was rather dull and it was the first time i'd used my canon. i will take your comments into my (now jotting book). since i took that photo i have had 3 of my photos on itv and bbc local weather reports and that pleased me very much lol.
    thanks again.:gnthb:

willow

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Willow well done and I am sure you will have even more success in the future.:thmb::)