new polytunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Mo_, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Mo_

Mo_ Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all new to the site. i have put up one of the ebay 6x3x2m polytunnels on my allotment. What is the best way to give it some wind protection ? thanks all

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    As there is no answer here yet, I'll attempt to answer.

Providing your new tunnel is an all galvanised steel frame it will, like mine withstand winds upto and probably over 130mph without the need for further strengthening, the main problem is stopping it becoming a 20 foot kite, ie pegging it down to the ground.

Assuming you have buried the cover in the ground I would stake the frame on the inside, then tie the frame to the stakes. They need to be 2 x 2 at least and are best driven in at least 18 inches. 6 stakes should do it but one stake at each hoop end would be much better.

To further support everything you could also build a timber door which I advise you to do (if you have not already) as the zips on these covers are not the best, its not a case of if the zip will fail, but when.

To fit a door, make a rectangular door frame, 12 to 18 inches taller than the polytunnel frame, then working on the inside of the tunnel dig out 12 to 15 inches until your door frame fits snug under the polytunnel frame on the inside of its cover, on my newest tunnel I drilled holes in the top of the door frame and secured it to the polytunnel frame with cable ties. Back fill the previously dug hole so that the door frame sits flush to the fitted cover, I added another cross piece or lintel at ground level too.

Now make your door, another rectangle frame and hinge it then fit it to the door frame again on the inside of the cover so it opens inward. Temp fix the door shut, come out of the tunnel close all zips.

Now working on the outside and using a staple gun, multiple staple the cover to both the door frame and to the door, all the way round. You can then batten over the top of these staples with timber so that the cover is sandwiched between the door frame and cover and door and cover. Now carefully cut around the door with a sharp knife, unfix the door you had temp closed shut and you have a new door frame and working covered door.

See this post here on GC for photos showing the staking, tieing down and door frame in place.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/steves-polytunnels.33033/page-4#post-543043

And the staking and door frames on my newest tunnel here, door frames slightly different here

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/steves-polytunnels.33033/page-5#post-915208

Now just close the zip up doors and never use them again.

Good luck, and show us some photos of what you have done so far.

Steve...:)

3. Mo_

Mo_ Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Steve thanks for the reply. I went to the allotment today as we had gale force winds blowing. My poor polytunnel just could not cope. one of the bars have broke and the cover has took some damage. I have took the cover off for now as i will have to see what my next step is going to be. thanks again Mo.

4. Grasshopperaggy

Grasshopperaggy Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +33
    That is a shame. i am looking to build a poly tunnel next to my house but the only problem is its is a bit of a wind tunnel down there. i was only looking to buy one of the cheaper ones from ebay. i am a bit worried now that it will not take it like yours. what is the frame made of. is it like steve r has with a galvanised frame

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Mo_

Mo_ Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      What size was you thinking of getting ?

• Grasshopperaggy

Grasshopperaggy Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +33
      I am going to get a 3m x 2m. It's a bit narrow where I am going to put it.

• Mo_

Mo_ Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Definitely stake it in to the ground and it will also support the frame. My one is galvanised but still not strong enough against gale force winds of 90mph. If you are quite handy at diy i would make one using scaffold poles and plastic pipe.