New pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cobbybrook, Jun 9, 2006.

1. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Coming along nicely cobbybrook... :D Love the Damsel flies photo.. :rolleyes: Does the new railway go anywhere nearby??. [​IMG]

3. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Alas no, not yet. One day, perhaps... ;)

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Cobbybrook

Wow!!!! Love your pond!!!! And it looks like its been there much longer than 2 weeks!!!! The water looks lovely and clear - and is that Fairy Moss???

Please post more picture throughout the season - and, of course, let us know when your first Frogs take up residence..... :cool:

5. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Honey Bee! [​IMG]

First frog has already moved in! He is only tiny and rather shy, but I'll try to catch him 'on film'. We also noticed a fat toad lurking in the shallows the other evening. I can't believe how quickly wildlife find a new patch of water. The lily was moved from a smaller pond where it was a little cramped and already it is throwing out new lily pads and stretching its legs. Unfortunately it also brought with it the duck weed and traces of blanket weed, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Whilst moving the lily I noticed that we have one or two leeches in the smaller pond - is this a good or a bad thing? I've no idea how they got there, as the pond is raised and quite enclosed.

6. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :D Oh very nice pics cobbybrook. How come these frogs all have that cheeky look..!! :rolleyes:

8. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Must be something in the water... [​IMG]

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Eldest Son loves your Frog!!!! (so do I!!) And I am soooooooooooo jealous of your Toad!!! We love toads, but haven't got any - yet!!!! We do have two frogs and a small goldfish. We are having our garden "done" at the moment, and a much bigger pond is going to replace the little one, so, hopefully, lots more Frogs, and mega hopefully, Newts and Toads!!!!! (I don't understand why people hate Toads??????) - but, whilst digging the flowerbed yesterday, I did come across a small poop - so we may have a Hedgie too!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Honey Bee

This latest pond is pond number 4 in our garden! The first two were very small and eventually left to become small bog/swamp areas and I built a little bridge to cross over this area. Pond number 3 was bigger, but I rapidly realised that it wasn't big enough! This pond still exists (this is where the lily was 'liberated' from) and pond number 4 now measures about 5 foot square and 2 foot deep in one area. This bigger pond is already proving to be a real magnet for wildlife. And, of course, our lily gets to stretch its legs a little! Good luck with your new additions, the garden will be all the better for them! [​IMG]