New Puppy... help needed!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by SallyJ, Jul 19, 2006.

1. SallyJ

SallyJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... I'm new on this forum but I hope someone can help. I have a gorgeous English Springer pup - Kimba (would post a photo if I could work out how!!). He is 10 weeks old and is just at the stage when everything (and I mean everything!) goes in his mouth including flowers, twigs, stones and leaves. I checked up on what plants are potentially poisonous and was horrified to find huge long lists including delphiniums, hydrangea, cherry laurel, philadelphus, all bulbs, lily of the valley, lobelia (except bedding), ivy, clematis armandii etc. Either I'm going to have to dig up half the garden or find a way of stopping Kimba chewing plants! Any ideas???

2. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome Sallyj and congrats on your new arrival. We have kept springers for years [​IMG] He will grow out of the chewing, obviously try and get him used to chewing other thingslol and get him interesting things to take his mind off the plants. He will chew more if he's bored. Restricting him to his own area in the garden is another way. They are so comical and entertaining at that age but remember they grow up so its best to get them out of bad habits/into good ones asap [​IMG] Having said that - enjoy him...and can we see a piccy soon please [​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    welcome sally j. I have a cavalier she is just 11 months old, have had her since she was 8 weeks, she has got into mischief when she was little chewed an extention cable luck dog i was at mt wits end with worry so i bought a large trainer cage they are a must for puppies, dont know what i would of done without it, she still goes in it i have it in the corner of our bedroom with her bed in it, sometimes she still sleeps in it and when you are busy they are handy just to pop them in when you cant watch them.
    I give her chew sticks and she has lots of toys in her own basket and she knows that is hers.
    Hope i have been of some help enjoy [​IMG]

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I too used a crate for my two cavs - it was their refuge as pups - and mine on occasions when I wanted to use both eyes on a task.

They are no different from babies at their age where chewing is concerned - and its worth training them now what they can and can not chew. Nylabone is a good chew toy, and so are the hide chews - but make sure you get a big one, rather than one that can be swallowed when soft.

My pups favourite chew toy, was the one they played tug with - a tea towel with a large knot in it.

5. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Sallyj, the large rubber toys called "Kongs" (available from pet stores and vets) are very useful, they are hollow and you can fill them with food..Peanut butter added to the hollow centre and then frozen in the freezer provides hours of fun as they lick it out..also the coldness is good for teething pups. Another gaget is the "buster cube" a sort of large plastic box that you fill with treats, As the dog rolls the cube around it is occasionally rewarded as a treat works its way through the small holes around the edge. Both these toys are tried and tested at our vets when we hold puppy parties and have prooved very good at holding the pups attention. The crate is a good idea..start by feeding your dog in the crate, that way they associate the cage with nice things,they soon regard the cage as their own special place.

Good luck
    Poppy [​IMG]

[ 19. July 2006, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Poppy33 ]

6. SallyJ

Ratings:
    +0
    Many many thanks for all your ideas. Kimba does have his own crate (which he loves) and I have now bought him a wide variety of chews. I still have some work to do in keeping him focused on chews rather than the plants but it is all great fun. Kimba is a great tonic as my black lab, Heidi, who was my constant companion for 5 years was put to sleep last month with a brain tumour. Kimba was originally planned as a companion for her. I am lucky enough to be able to work at home on a part time basis so I can really enjoy Kimba's puppyhood!! Once again many thanks to you all for your friendly welcome and ideas.

[​IMG]

7. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our lurchers favourite trick is to sprint round the garden taking the heads off flowers as she goes!

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    .... and always your best ones too!!!! :D ;)

9. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My springer Daisy chewed 2 of the 3 stems of my Passion Flower - I had to wait till they started to die off and untangle them from the stem that was still ok - it is going to flower too this year for the first time :rolleyes: Daisy by name, Demon by nature ;)

10. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Lurchers and Gunnera, I am liking you more and more!

11. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What's your view on border terriers?

[​IMG]

BBQ time!

12. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I like borders, if fact there is a little bit of border in my patterdales.

[​IMG]

And my lurcher shares the same mother.

[​IMG]

All bred by my brother in law in southwales.
    BM [​IMG]

13. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Sally J I have been looking back in my hard drive trying to find a picture I bought ages ago. It is of a springer spaniel a breed which my wife used to keep.

Anyway I couldn't find what I wanted so I post for you the website. You can buy loads of fantastic pencil sketches on this website, and indeed I have.

http://www.sibleyfineart.com/index.htm

Welcome by the way.

BM [​IMG]

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  15. SallyJ

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for this. What a wonderful picture. I have had a look at the gallery and added it to my Christmas present sites list!