New Raised terrace, planting tropicals???

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by fleabag155, May 8, 2009.

1. fleabag155

fleabag155 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    I am about to acquire (builder permitting!) a 9m by 1.2m terrace. It is the highest level of 3 terraces built on a steep slope at the back of the garden It is south facing, with a wooden fence all the way behind it. The water runs down the bank like a river , hence the need for the terraces, so this top level is very dry. It will be a level area when finished. It was grass until a couple of days ago.

I could do with some advice about soil preparation - I'm wondering about manure/grit etc??

I'm also concerned about the watering, since it is so dry, and was thinking about some tropical plants - maybe a palm tree (small!) a ginger , some succulents, agave etc. Is this a good idea, or am I being a bit ambitious - I only started with the gardening thing a year or so ago.

Some alternatives and any general advice would be greatly appreciated, both about suitable plants and the soil.
    Incidentally, any plants known to be chicken proof would have a major advantage as I have three lovely ladies who roam around for a little while most days!

Thanks

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Fleabag

Your terrace sounds like quite a challenge. I assume that it's in full sun as well as sharply drained? If so, I wouldn't worry about adding grit but I'd definitely add as much compost, and water retaining material as I could. It's a bit late to add manure this year in my view but some people add it at any time in the year so you have a choice. A good dressing of general fertiliser or chicken poo pellets would also be worthwhile if it was just grassland recently.

As far as choice of plants, I'd consider any form of lavender, most euphorbias, sedum spectabile, crocosmia and brooms. By the sound of it, you need plants that would be at home on a hillside overlooking the Med. Oh and you can pop sempervivens into any little spaces.

Sorry I don't know what plants chickens eat. According to a relative who farms in Lancashire, they'll have a good go at just about anything!

P.S. I've been impressed how well spirea japonica "Firelight" has grown on my own "plot of flints" - definitely worth a few plants.