New seedlings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by harryb, Mar 4, 2012.

1. harryb

harryb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My first seedlings have just germinated from unheated propogators. French and African Marigolds and Alyssum have come through in 3 to 4 days. I have taken the lids off the progogators and they are standing on a windowcill but are bending towards the light. I have an unheated greenhouse, will I be able to put them in there immediately, I have a gas heater if it gets really cold.

harryb

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I assume they are in the house at the moment. I would be inclined to keep them in the house for as long as you can, as your house is always going to be warmer than a heated greenhouse.

However they do need good light once they have germinated and that means putting them on a windowsill. You can largely get over the leaning problem by rotating them every day or two. But eventually you will run out of windowsill space.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Harry - correction to what I said above. When the weather is cloudy and cold and damp - your house will always be warmer than a greenhouse.

But today was lovely and if the greenhouse is in the sun it can get really warm. I had my lunch sitting in my summerhouse, which has a complete glass front - wonderful :biggrin:. The trouble is that all the plants inside want to grow and get out - but its too cold to let them out.