new to edible gardening, not sure if my land is suitable?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jack Bowen, May 30, 2012.

1. Jack Bowen

Jack Bowen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    i am new to gardening, and after just moving into a new house with a huuuge garden i wanted to get the garden nice, got my self a green house and germinated lots of flowers to be planted up in the front garden and all is great..

but i am now wanting some veg's, i decided to dig up a plot right beside the greenhouse, were the land was a bit uneven but after digging up the plot its really obvious that at some point before we moved in the un even ground used to be what appears to be a lot of rotted "rubbish" there's old rusted cans, beer bottles.. broken glass, rotted clothes bits of plastic bags.. etc..

would i be safe planting crops here and maybe next year home grown tobacco? i have no idea what other rubbish has been there, im assuming it was along time ago as it was VERY over grown and the cans just crumble when touched..i think at one point someone has just dumped there rubbish bags there and left them.

i hope its ok as its the only place that's out of the way that i can get some crops growing and has full sun all day

thanks for all your help

also the veg i want to plant first is corn i have 25 plants all germinated and about 6 inch long that need to be planted out

2. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I can't see how it would be a problem for crops that grow above ground, but root crops may be a little more tricky. My plots are full of bricks, bits of rubble glass etc and am choosing to only grow crops that grow above the ground until I get time to really remove all the stuff in there at a later date.

Any root crops you wish to grow in the meantime put in those plastic bag planters. I've got some carrots growing in one at the moment, but it's only temporarily until I give the soil a good digging over.

• Like Like x 1
    • blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
      +147
      sounds like a ready made lasagna plot to me, there shouldn't be any problems apart from a chance of injuring yourself. People build lasagna beds from old rubbish and cloths, there are a lot of plant nutrients in rubbish, I'd go for it.

• Like Like x 1
      • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        If the plot has been used as a dump site during the build then the digging over by double digging method will enable you to remove the bulk of the debris that would impact on surface veg growing.
        Deeper seated debris, presumably will come to the surface over time and can be removed as you find it.
        Presumably your survey should have identified if the site had previously been an official dump site, which would be a longer term issue.
        Just be careful when gardening, in case broken glass is an issue.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jack Bowen

Jack Bowen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          thank you all so much, i will get them planted out today :) was just a bit worried about them sucking up some bad nutrients or something