new to gardening, how late can i plant out hardy perennials

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Bowen, May 9, 2012.

1. Jack Bowen

Jack Bowen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    we recently moved to a house with a huge front and back garden, so i thought i would get my self a greenhouse and do the garden up nice.. instead of buying plants i bought A LOT of hardy perennial flower seeds different species (supposedly able to stand -15C) is it too late to plant these out after germination or will they still be able to withstand the frosts here in the UK, its only a small 6x4ft greenhouse so i don't think there is enough room to keep them in there over winter

thanks

ps the seeds have not been sown yet, just waiting for some info on what to do

• Like Like x 1
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Hi Jack, welcome to GC..:blue thumb:

You can sow perennial seed pretty much anytime between Feb & Sep, although the spring is better as you'll have better sized plants by the winter.

I would go ahead and sow them Jack, this spring has been so on the whole that I doubt they'll end much behind a lot of earlier sowings which many are saying are slow to get going.

It all depends on what species you are growing as to whether you'll have a garden ready plant within the first year; the more vigorous ones should be fine to plant out in the autumn (which is an excellent time to plant out as the ground will still be warm and they should establish wel before the cold weather comes). I always like to grow mine on in pots for a year before planting out; they wouldn't necessarily need to be kept in a greenhouse over winter, a sheltered corner would be fine and if any severe weather is forecast just throw some fleece over them, they're hardy after all, they'll just need a little tlc through their first winter.

Good Luck and have fun :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,832
        Hi there Jack,
        what service eh? GC is the place to join for rapid, pukka replies!! Welcome,
        Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1