1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New turf already dying?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Gn0me, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    This was put down at the beginning of March. I was told to water it everyday which I knew already and did so, although wasn't sure on the amount.

20170320_065124.jpg 20170320_071249.jpg 20170320_065113.jpg

I'm just trying to keep the soil moist.

After researching more about lawncare I also read that it was crucial to water it the moment it is put down as it could cause permanent problems. I was not home when it was put down but my wife asked the installer when or if it should be watered that day but he said tomorrow.

Is that reasonable instruction or could it be he forgot to bring his hose, couldn't be bothered to ask for ours or doesn't know himself?

The reason for asking is because parts of the lawn is becoming yellow already and I'm really concerned it's either damaged because of this, or I'm using too much or little water. Maybe this is normal? It looked like the edges of each turf were becoming dry but they are moist.

What can I do apart from panic? I'm still watering it but could that be the problem? It's only rained a few days and not much when it did.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,354
    I'm sure that our lawn experts will be able to advise you. I would guess that they're all out tending to people's lawns at the moment. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,058
      It doesn't look that bad to me, keep on watering as it has been very dry and these incessant winds make it worse. Make sure it is properly soaked down to the soil.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Not panic?
        We have had a dry March so far, although it does seem to be making up for now.
        Follow JWK's advice :thumbsup:

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        It looks fine to me and will probably improve and grow vigorously as the weather warms up. I think you can stop watering every day, maybe every two or three days, unless it rains of course, throughout April and then in dry spells later on. Try gently peeling back a corner in the middle to see how the roots are growing. If it doesn't come away easily you can be sure the roots are doing what they are supposed to do. I wouldn't worry too much. Grass is pretty resilient.

• Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
        +45
        Thank you very much for all your prompt replies, I am relieved!

I don't want to blame my wife... but it's her fault!

She made me paranoid.

I will keep watering it every other day pending any rain. Would I right in saying that I must be doing something extreme if I'm over watering it or is that something that can be easily done?

Thanks again.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        It usually is, yet somehow they always seem to make us feel like it's our fault.

As for extreme watering, as long as it drains freely and doesn't form puddles on the surface, I doubt very much you'll drown it. Anything you do with a regular hose and sprinkler is nothing compared to a good downpour of rain, so I reckon even if you left a sprinkler running 24/7 for the next week, you'd probably only put down the equivalent of half a day of heavy rain, which on a garden that drains freely, is not going to cause any problems.

• Agree Agree x 2