New type of slug/

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Compost Corner, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Compost Corner

Compost Corner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody, long time no talk!
    Has anyone noticed a new type of slug which is not nocturnal?
    They are about an inch long or smaller and some have orange ridges down the back.They crawl all about on my terrace during the day and the birds leave them alone.I've also noticed a drastic reduction in ordinary slugs when I go out at night with my torch. Could they be a foreign invader?

2. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely not one of these then - a ghost slug

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7498195.stm

I have some slugs that eat other slugs - and I've checked them and there is no tiny shell on them and they're an orange colour, they seem to be like a 2 part slug, up at the eating end they're smooth then theres the pooping end thats ridged from front to back (haven't got a clue what type they are though) some have been longer than my finger (scary giant slugs) they're not tiny. Must try to get a picture as I promised on the other slug thread but never have a camera on me when I see them - as long as they leave the plants alone and only eat slugs they can stay in my garden otherwise it's slug busting for them.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  5. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL Walnut, my cats don't eat slugs :( I've a crow that'll take snails I put on my garden table but it leaves the slugs alone. I've not seen any slugs out and about the last few days - probably the weather keeping them away.