1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Veg Patch Weeds

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by lowrider69, Dec 29, 2017.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi Guys I have a new veg patch I been working on (my 1st one) and been getting weeds starting to come up, It was a grass lawn but I covered it in cardboard and then covered it in B&Q compost and now weeds and bits of grass are starting to pop through.
    whats the best thing to do to get rid of them or keep them at bay, not sure about chemicals as will be growing veg of types in there come spring.

Thanks In Advance

Fence Back Garden.jpg weeds.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      Welcome to GC. :dbgrtmb:

How you deal with them depends on what they are. also it depends on how you've gone about preparing the ground. Did you just cover the ground and, later on, simply spread the compost on the ground without having previously dug it?

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      Thanks Shiney :)

yes being partly disabled I had no one to dig all the grass up so I read about this way online, spread cardboard to block out the light and cover with compost and keep damp

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,361
      This is only my opinion but I think it won't work the way you have done it. Sorry :noidea:

What you have got are the weeds and grass coming up through the compost that you have put down.

You would be better to see whether you can find someone to help you get it started properly. Then you would be able to keep it going on your own. :blue thumb:

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      No its not coming through the cardboard its new growth I checked it to be sure, there's a lot of people doing this these days,
      I left a small seed container full of soil out at the same place near this veg patch and that ended up growing the same sort of weed & grass plants

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      The weeds look like Dandelions.

The 3rd and 4th images are not displaying. They need downloading to your hard drive (from where they are stored online) before uploading into a post.
      Code:
      [ATTACH=full]95713[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]95714[/ATTACH]
      [IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/28obte0RYPPFlCgq2[/IMG]
      [IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/aSeYynNukXOFpQt32[/IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        the 3rd and 4th photos are the same scrungee I cant seem to remove them,

so any ideals how to deal with them please?

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Try selecting Edit at the bottom of your post, then 'backspacing' your cursor through them to delete, if that does not work try clicking the 'spanner' icon in the top right hand corner (in Edit) and then you will see what's in my post above enabling you to see what you need to delete in order to remove them. Selecting 'Return to rich text editor' in the bottom left hand corner will enable you to view the effect of the edit before saving changes.

You only this this bit

Code:
        [ATTACH=full]95713[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]95714[/ATTACH]

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        thanks sorted but I did mean the plant problem lol :D

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,311
        The only way AFAIK to get rid of the weeds without resorting to a chemical weedkiller is to cover with a light-suppressing material (thick black plastic, carpet, membrane) for as long as it takes to kill off the roots of the weeds. (Not quick in the case of tap-rooted perennial weeds!) Or dig them out by hand which I imagine is a non-starter. If the soil is full of weed seeds, as soon as you expose the soil to the light, you'll have more weeds germinate but they can be hoed off before they set seed themselves. The other option is to spray with glyphosate (not a ready-mixed solution) and leave for at least 6 weeks while it travels through the roots and kills the perennial weeds. The annual ones can then be controlled by hoeing. The jury is still out on whether glypho persists in the soil and/or crops. The makers claim that it breaks down in the soil and doesn't affect plants not directly sprayed, but it's detractors claim otherwise. Where it undoubtedly comes into it's own is in killing off persistent weeds that re-grow from tiny bits of root, like dandelion, bindweed and couch grass.

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        yeah I think your right there with the blocking out the light cuz if I do spray them they will only be back in while, its not a huge veg patch so covering it shouldn't cost to much.

is there a product that does this sort of thing or is it a case of taping loads of bin liners together lol?

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,361
        If it's not coming through the cardboard then it seems to me that it can only be new weeds and, therefore, should be easy to just pull out. Failing that, a light hoeing should do chop them off in their prime!

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Mypex, have a look at this thread Vegetable Growing using Weed Suppressing Membrane / Mypex

If you chose that option, I would suggest using 3 or 4 seperate pieces, each with the cut edges tucked underneath to create a 'hem' and conceal the raw edges. That would enable different pieces with different cut outs for planting through to be swopped around for crop rotation purposes. I always walk over it when sheets are joined, as I don't plant close to doublef over edges and treading on the holding down wire pegs helps keep them in place.

P.S. With the bed in you could run soaker hose underneath.

P.S.S. A search of the forum (from the Forum board) should locate various other mypex threads. A similar product is Yuzet.

• Stevebeard

Stevebeard Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        you be able to buy black plastic sheets online and have them delivered, or if you can get out to a GC you could buy it there.
        I did just wonder why you have made it so wide, especially as you are not going to dig, now you will have to walk all over it.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        If intending covering that bed with any form of membrane, it might be essential to re-do that lower sloping section with a step and a lower horizontal bed, otherwise (even using porous Mypex/Yuzet) rain will all be shed down to the lower edge.

• Like Like x 1