New Veggie Garden , adivce on New Potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam Moran, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a new veggie garden and seeking some adviced on new potatoes.

I'm very limited on soil space but have many large contaniers, i'm hoping to grow some new potatoes in them.

Which variety is the best to grow and when do you sow them? Is there any that can be sown now?

My veggie garden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a shared garden but i'm making the most of our half :thumb:

Adam

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening, Adam, and welcome to the site. I think you are a bit late for buying seed potatoes. But what I would do, is get some small spuds from the supermarket and use those. If you can get Wilja or Maris Piper or Estima so much the better. Buy whats available, and give it a try. You are looking at a 10 to 12 week growing period for new potatoes.

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If you purchase spuds from a supermarket or whatever, then to grow them, they have to sprout first. (But I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Either they could be so chemically impregnated that they wont reproduce, or disease is another thing. Always purchase seed potatoes from a reputable source.)

That is green growth from the outside of the spud yea. You require about three sprouts to get things going, just pick the rest off if more than three.

I really would say that it is too late now, however. Growing spuds without the amount of soil deemed necessary is relatively easy.

Someone mentioned earlier on the forum that using thick black bin liners...place the seed spuds on some soil in the bottom, when they start to grow, chuck in more soil or compost and continue yea. So you start off with rolled down bin liners and as you fill them up, you keep unrolling them. Off course you have to ensure that the bags or containers have drainage holes.

If you have suitable deep containers, then use them...but don't forget the drainage holes.
    Sorted.:thumb:

4. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps

I was a bit late with most stuff this year but learning lots as i go.

Might be a silly question but do you have to plant new potatoes to get new potatoes or is it just a case of pulling them earlier??

5. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Adam.

In the main, people grow potatoes from 'Seed Potatoes' as they are are tested to be virus free, so you do not introduce any nasties into your garden.

6. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Adam,

New potatoes are just normal potateos pulled up a bit earlier when they aare still relatively small.

I didn't get round to buying any seed potatoes this year and ended up using some left over supermarket spuds - the first lot will hopefully be just about ready to pullup on the weekend. Ideally you are best off using seed potatoes as they are unlikely ot have any disease.

Good luck,

7. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Don't forget if you are planting potatoes now you are looking at harvesting end of September/October and that's getting very risky of night frosts. Once the foliage is hit by frost that's the end of their growth so get them in ASAP. Don't wait for them to 'chit', look for potatoes with prominent 'eyes' on them and get them planted. As far as buying 'seed' potatoes, I have planted seed and leftover shop bought ones in pots this year and so far the genuine seed potatoes are cropping better but they're all producing spuds. The only other thing is that potato plants are very thirsty and when grown in pots or tubs and need daily watering if they are not to dry out. Just leaving them out in the rain, they won't get enough water to grow properly.

8. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys,

The wife gave me 7 small jersey royals tonight so will be chucking them in pots tomorrow after work.

I dont expect much as its very last minute but its worth a shoot :)

If i plant now, when should i be looking to pull them for new potatoe size?

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    In ten to twelve weeks, Adam.

11. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    First time for everything.
    I have planted some seed pots in my small patch, but i also spotted some Scots organic potatoes for sale at my local deli that where way past their best and were already chited.
    Cost me 35p for 5 with the biggest shoots.
    Next part of the project was plastic dustbin..
    Drainage holes drilled in the bottom..
    A layer of stones in the bottom..
    One third filled with compost from the composter..
    Five potatoes planted..
    Cover shoots after about two inches growth and repeat until reached top of bin.
    Looking at the healthy top growth await in anticipation for a good result.
    Capney

12. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just beware of spuds from Scotland...they will most likely grow with kilts on.

13. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Adam

I have a allotment i have grown potatoes this year still have quite a few in the ground which are nearly ready but what i wanted to tell you i have just sent for seed potatoes from (Dobies) they will be sent out to me by end of July and i will leave them chit for a week or so then plant them mid August then will have potatoes around November the make is Bambino and Maris Peer these potatoes are autum/winter ones hope this helps.

14. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Will they grow any better if I play them bagpipe music ????
    Capney

15. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Idea!

I have planted 5 spuds but tbh i dont think the containers are big enough.

New year i'll get a dust bin sorted :thumb: