New Video Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Larkshall, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Having tried out a few video clips with my Panasonic still camera (340 x 280 pixels) I decided that the quality was not good enough for the digital projector to show on a 48 inch screen. I wanted to show video at the clubroom.

After searching around I eventually settled on the Toshiba Camileo H10 (£129.99). I ordered it with a 16GB SDHC card, I also ordered two spare batteries and an SDHC capable card reader. The camera is High Definition (1280 x 720 pixels). It is small and light, goes into a padded compact case I made up some years ago.

I have experimented with it and am quite satisfied with the price and quality. Having several clips I soon realised that I needed to make title clips for each group. I found that I could make these in Open Office and save as .pdf files, show them on screen and video them direct from the laptop screen.

The 16GB SDHC card gives 12 hours runtime at the HD setting, the batteries are an unknown quantity at present but time will tell how long they run for. The camera is light enough to use on my Slick 500 Tripod and my Jessops Monopod.

I have found that the Open Source "Elisa Open Media Centre" software will run all video files which are placed in one folder as a complete video, therefore you have to order them by name and they are shown in the correct sequence. It makes it easy to add or remove any clip to or from the folder and sequence.

I am looking forward to my return to Video shooting.

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Welcome back to the world of video Larkshall.
    Looks like you have it sorted for now, but.
    I bet you will soon be looking for updating equipment and software !!!
    I know I always am.
    I now have three video cameras. An old Panasonic SVHS, one of the first JVC digital DVC and now up to date with a Panasonic 30GB HHD cam.
    The JVC digital still works even after taking a fall from a great height, top of the wardrobe onto the floor
    I use Cyberlink Power Director editing software. works a treat.
    [align=left]Thanks for info about "Elisa Open Media Centre" software I shall check that out for sure.
    Good luck with your vids
    robert
    [/align]

3. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Robert.

I should have mentioned that I use Ubuntu/Linux OS, the Elisa Open Media Centre works under that but I don't know if they do a Windows version.

I tried the HDMI lead tonight linking the camera to the LCD TV. Not quite up to the BBC standard but nearly. I don't think I shall need to upgrade any more (I am 80 now).

One of my clubmates is interested in the camera and wants a demo before he goes to the US West Coast.

Edit I gave him a demonstration and he has now bought one himself.