new yew hedge planted 2 months ago can i prune

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by amme, Jun 2, 2009.

1. amme

amme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the long shoots that are growing out at the side of the yew???? they are growing over next doors garden already and i am not sure if it is o.k to prune these off just yet????? please help as i dont want to damage the baby plants. they were about 2 ft each when they were planted.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You should trim them to shape when they reach the size you want. If the neighbour-side is already being reached I see no problem clipping them - they will branch out behind where you cut, and thus "thicken up".

I clip Yew all the year round (well, no growth to be cut in the Winter, obviously) to keep their shape smart, and they certainly don't mind, although for lower maintenance twice-a-year is probably a better proposition.

You might want to cut them with something sharp, like topiary sheers, as they are young - but on a mature plant they are only going to get the mechanical hedge trimmer or sheers treatment :thumb:

3. amme

amme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thats great thankyou, i havnt got those shears unfortuneatley so i will have to use my secatears. I saw my neighbours looking at it yesterday in a disaproving manner ( or they could have been looking at the water pipe i had laid down as i am sick of standing there watering it LOL) so i had better go and trim it today whilst the weather is cooler. Thanks again :)

4. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't recommend using hedge trimmers on yew. A pair of reasonable quality, but sharp hand shears are the way forward, as it gives the yew a nice neat cut. Hedge cutters tend to rip it, and the finish isn't as good.

Secateurs for the first year or so when they are getting going is perhaps the best way forwards.

Hope this Helps!

5. amme

amme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks yes it does help. it is only a few of the branches that are sticking out a bit too far that i want to snip off at the moment so i shall be using my secatears for that. I am suprised actually on how fast it has grown in a matter of 2 months. I have fed it with shrub bonemeal and then with seeweed extract in the water and it looks lovely and green with lots of new shoots, i do keep meaning to take a photo of it.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yew will grow a foot a year if it is happy - lots of people don't expect that as it has a reputation for being slow :) ... probably because Leylandii will do 3' a year :(