Newbe Lawn Help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Niall, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Niall

Niall Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

I was looking for some advice on my lawn. It has a mixture of moss and weeds and I was wondering what I should do first. I was thinking the following

1. Put down sulphate of iron AND everygreen complete down this weekend
    2. Leave for 3 weeks
    3. Mow the lawn tight and fully scarify the garden
    4. reseed the entire lawn.

Should I put sulphate of Iron and evergreen down at the same time? Or just go one or the other? My fear is the sulphate of iron wont kill the weeds only the moss. I was then thinking should I put down weedkiller at all if i am going to overseed? Any opinions very welcome. Many Thanks

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Nothing will keep the moss out unless you make the surface inhospitable to it. Preferably making it more hospitable to grass at the same time.

Sharp sand is your friend.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    I would use Iron Suplphate ( at the correct solution ! ) around now . No other feed at this time . After a good heavy scarifying , I top dress with a mix of top soil and sharp sand and then reseed in April . Moss aint easy to get rid of .

4. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    Moss ran riot at mine this winter so I will be giving it the sulphate of iron,leave 2 weeks then scarify. Will be needing to reseed then might give the weeds a bashing after a few weeks giving the new grass time to bed in.

I`ll leave the clover and buttercup alone as the bees love it and it doesnt bother me.

I wont be doing this for a few weeks yet as its still to cold and wet around us. It might be better weather at yours now though.