1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Advice about bugs please

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by lowrider69, May 20, 2018.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi I have planted some collie flower, brussel sprouts, Chinese cabbage, leeks, sweet peppers, butternut squash and have a few others to go in very soon,
    I friend walked past my front garden and seen my new rose plants had greenfly all over the buds so this has got my thinking how do I deal with all the bugs?

roses is there like an all in one spray that can be used on roses and veg? I read watered down fairy liquid works with greenfly so have done that today,

but what sort of bugs will I have to look out for with these sort of plants and how to try to keep them at bay?

this is my 1st outside grow so never really had this problem before,

can you spray plants your going to be eating?

any advice would be great thanks

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

In a word, you really need to keep flowers and veg sprays separate.

If you are using ready made sprays, including soap/fatty acids based ones, for greenfly etc but check the bottle as some are safe for veg , some are not, some can be used on veg but only a limited number of times, confusing :scratch:

For Roses, think I would go for spays like Rose Clear which kill aphids and also helps control other rose diseases.

All the above plants can be prone to aphids, but the leafy green veg ( not leeks) are pray for the cabbage white butterflies /caterpillars so netting to keep them off is worth while as they can strip an entire crop before you realise it !

Worthwhile watching BeechGrove gardening program ( BBC2 Sunday morning + Catchup) as they often cover a lot of gardening /veg basics, as well as this forum of course ! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I dont spray on any edibles lowrider. I find healthy crops resist most attacks. Avoid overfeeding too...lush crops attract aphids and other pests. I would wipe off aphids you see on veg....
      I think you may be over worrying this bug attack. plant out your veg and relax :)

• Like Like x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        thanks Ricky I will try some of that rose clear, and start watching that gardening program.

Verdun I think maybe your right, I don't like the ideal of spraying my veg and to be honest I don't really want to net them as I like looking at them and seeing all my hard work and is really is hard work as I'm disabled so doing gardening though rewarding for me does give me a lot of pain but I'm really enjoying it in my new bungalow.
        this is the 1st time veg has been grown in this patch and I put down over 6 months of carboard apples and grass mulched down at the end of last summer so it should have all it needs to grow, I brought them on a fair bit in the greenhouse as well. oh I put slug pellets on the outside and inside edges as well

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi,

That looks a nice big area, though wonder if the side netting is to stop your little helper going in there digging or do you have problem with rabbits etc.

As mentioned on yesterdays Beechgrove, they net their brassicas due to pigeons as well as butterflies.

They also are doing a Dig vs No Dig trial,( last weeks edition) and seems the no dig method is currently winning, which may be good for you in reducing the digging needed ..

One thing that I thing I would do being as your veg plot is so wide, it to make a narrow path down the middle of it length wise, even just compacted soil or bark etc, so you can access all the veg without having to tread down on the growing beds.

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
          Ratings:
          +174
          yea the wire was to stop my puppy digging it all up but yea good advice think I will put a wooden path down the middle as I have some spare planks so I can get down there and have a look, my dog and cat keep all the birds out and shes in and out all night through the cat flap lol

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
          Ratings:
          +174
          I need to get some bug killer anyone got some choices please, a good all rounder if theres such a thing?