Newbie, erratic gardener

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Digginginclay, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Digginginclay

Digginginclay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! I'm a newbie, novice and erratic gardener. I'm the type of gardener who sits indoors and draws lots of plans but once outside, all those plans go out the window and I've dug yet another hole or 'created' another 'wildlife' area. At the moment I've got around 200 hundred foxgloves in the greenhouse that I started in autumn, a fancy little suitcase rammed with different seeds and not much idea what exactly I'm doing. I've had previous success growing some veg and basic flowers. But I struggle with all the clay soil. This year I really want to start to work on making a garden that will mature over time so I don't constantly keep changing things!
    Today I have 'landscaped' a 'raised bed' shape, smack bang in the middle of the grass, out of the clay I've dug from several holes.
    Not quiet sure what I'll be doing with it, but I might have a brainstorm overnight

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    If you want a beautiful garden full of happy, healthy plants, tackle the clay! Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but in the long run it will save you hundreds of pounds, and lots of heartache, to invest in any and every form of soil improver that you can lay hands on. Whatever your plants are started off in, they won't appreciate being transplanted into a medium that is cold and soggy all winter and bakes like concrete in summer. If you're not up for adding tons of compost, well-rotted manure, grit and possibly lime, at least be prepared to add organic matter to a largish planting hole each time you plant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Digginginclay

Ratings:
      +0
      Definitely! There's no other way around it! Quick question though, so today I've dug out a largish area ( 3 x 5 ft and roughly 2ft deep). I'm thinking to fill it with manure and compost. But will I just be creating a swamp once it rains as the surrounding clay won't allow it to drain?
      Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, but I haven't thought this one through properly.

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +15,334
      That's a very sensible and pertinent question!:) Yes you will! Is your garden on a slope at all? If it is, it's easy enough to make a slit trench with a spade on the lowest side of the hole (to the same depth as the hole, obviously) which will allow the water to drain away. If the site is flat, though, I really don't know what to suggest, other than making a narrow drainage trench in a direction where it won't be a nuisance, perhaps with a soakaway .

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        I think its often thought you need to get rid of the clay, but its much better to work with it and improve it.
        Probably best to tackle small areas at a time.

Even clay drains, I have clay subsoil but its only years of adding organic matter that it becomes workable, I dont think there is a quick one off fix, its an ongoing thing each year.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • noisette47

Ratings:
          +15,334
          I'd agree that you have to keep mulching and adding organic material, but for the initial planting, you really can't beat the old idea of double digging. Take out a spade's depth of soil, fork lots and lots of compost, grit and /or manure into the next spade's depth, then turn the soil back in, preferably with another dollop of organic material. Not for the faint-hearted :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,076
            Does anybody do that though, I thought that went out with Mr Digwell.:roflol:

• noisette47

Ratings:
            +15,334
            Well, I must admit, the last time I 'supervised' a double-dig to make a border, it was with OH's participation, that of his JCB and several tonnes of cow manure :biggrin: But I still prepare planting holes on the same principle. After all, what's the point of committing an expensive plant to what amounts to a coffin, if the clay's not improved?

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +15,334
              I forgot to add, D, that your manure and compost can be mixed with the clay. The worms will do the 'fine-tuning' for you :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,889
              Welcome to Gardeners Corner Digginginclay. :)

• Digginginclay

Ratings:
              +0
              Thanks so much for all advice. I've mixed up some of the stuff I dug out with compost and a bit of manure and tried refilling.
              I've bought some Mooli radish seeds to experiment with at some point in different areas of the garden. But I definitely take on the advice of doing little by little and a small section at one time.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
              Ratings:
              +1,155
              Welcome to the forum. Do not become despondent. Clay is about the most fertile of soils after fenland peat. I note you are in Essex, remember that East Anglia is about the most productive arable area in Uk, and its mainly clay. I agree with most of the advice given above but am concerned that you may be daunted at the task. I would ask you for more details of your plot.
              Is it a 'new build' site?, do you know what was there before? or maybe it was farm land.
              What colour is the soil in the 2 foot hole you describe, is it in distinct coloured layers, did you find any roots or worms? What is the desire upon your plans? Any pictures of the hole/area, all information you can give us will help.