Newbie gardener, need help with small border plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by julie-cornwall, Apr 6, 2011.

1. julie-cornwall

julie-cornwall Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    As you can see, we have a small 'L' shaped border in a small garden. We have just planted it out. We have neighbours on both sides and the shed on the left is 8x6. The border gets some sun in the afternoon, but is mostly in the shade due to the shed and nearby buildings. The soil is just topsoil, but seems ok. We have dug down deep and turned it over before planting. We had no clue on what to put in the borders, so we just purchased random plants from our local garden centre :scratch: We are now hoping that these will grow :dunno: I'm sure we have made a mess of this, so if anyone can advise or help, that would be great!
    [​IMG]
    x
    Please note Max Image size for Gardeners Corner is 800x600..

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Julie - that brilliant. A lovely clear picture and a good collection of plants.

I think what you have done is absolutely right. You just got stuck in. Its the only way to start. In a year or two, you will look at the plants again and say I really like that, or I don't like that, and you will have a much better idea of what you really want. I think that's the way most of us started.

3. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm a real beginner too, but we've inherited a mature garden.

All I can say is keep an eye on that heather! Ours has gone completely mad and taken over about a quarter of the garden! It's lovely, but it's gone too leggy because we didn't know what to do with it - and now I think it's beyond redemption.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    You have made a lovely tidy job of that Julie, I'm sure the plants will soon start to fill out and you won't be able to see any soil. Although it's shaded they will do well because it's also shelltered from the wind and you have made good choices of plants that don't mind little sun.

Make sure you keep it well watered during this dry spell. Did you incorporate any compost or fertilizer? If not then in 2 or 3 weeks time I would suggest you sprinkle a little fertilizer on the beds (Growmore if you don't mind inorganic or if you're 'green' then use Blood Fish & Bone) :dbgrtmb:

5. julie-cornwall

julie-cornwall Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks all for your responses and suggestions so far. To be honest, I was panicking a little about fertiliser. I did not think to put any in the soil when I dug the border :DOH:The soil is a little heavy and does not seem to dry out at all. I hope this is ok for the plant roots. Should I do a PH test on the soil too? If I just mix in some fertiliser with compost and cover the whole bed thinly with it, would this be ok? I am worried that if I have to turn over the soil again that I could damage roots.

6. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Nice job Julie! Its going to be a colourful corner.

You could probably squeeze some annual climbers in there too, to clamber up over your shed- try sweet peas or some black eyed susan.

Dont worry so much, it'll look after itself. As JWK says sprinkle some fish, blood and bone about and the rain will do the rest. (You can pick it up in pound shops atm).

Also, its going to be slugageddon round yours in the next week or so!

7. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    Really nice little patch there!! I really wish I could have done something the same before I started on a new patch of a friends mum's garden I tend to. Unfortunately the patch arcs around and there are some woodland areas so it's impossible to get it all on!! But like you, I really felt the best way was to get stuck in. Whacked a load of spring bulbs and summer bulbs in, and alot of soil improver last summer prior to planting things out and it's amazing how much it's come on. Put a lot of perennials in the past couple of months, lupins especially and loads of random stuff I've just picked up out of curiousity. I know I will end up moving a lot of this around....but you don't know until you try and at the moment I am finding it hard to work out the spacing and positioning. I've gone with instinct, and hopefully this will be enough :)

Nice idea about the climbing annuals by the way. Picked up a packet last week, didnt cost a lot and I'm going to plant them in position this weekend.

Have you thought about everlasting sweet peas? I keep looking at them and debating it, but can't say I've seen any healthy stock in the garden centres. Also purchased a Chilean Potato Vine a few weeks ago, which I'm told makes a lovely climber.

8. julie-cornwall

julie-cornwall Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I am now having serious problems with cats digging holes in all the nice new soil gaps and pooing in them! I can't afford expensive water/sound repellent devices, so I was thinking of sprinkling lots of ground pepper (which I can get in bulk VERY cheaply) all over the bare soil. Will this help? I'm really gutted that my new (and expensive for me) border is being ruined!

9. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Cats again!! You've done a first class job with the choice of plants for the borders. and as always. just as you think it's done a problem arises:gaagh:

I think the ground pepper [if it's finely ground] put in copious amounts where the cat goes might do the trick, until it rains:heehee: The cat problem has discussed many times on this forum, if you search for the cats Threads you find different "solutions". The only person to have come up with what seems to be a positive solution is Shiney:love30:, and since his method is somewhat unorthodox I will leave it to that Gentleman to explain:heehee::loll::happydance:

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    Julie thats a pain cats getting in and using your border as a toilet. Have you any netting? Stretch it over the bare areas - it's the only thing I've ever found works.

I managed to stop our old moggy pooing on our lawn by spraying jeyes fluid in the area she was going on. But that's not a good idea on your nice plants.